Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

My main condensation is clogged, but my PVC is closed system?

My main condensation line is clogged, but it is closed without a tee and cap for access. I have tried sucking out the clogg from outside drain, but didn't get anything out of it. I only have two drains outside home but tried the one closest to the A/C unit outside. So my next option is to try from the inside and try to flush out that way. I don't have a tee and cap, though. So, I bought the tee pieces and want to slice the PVC pipe on the main line. Then I can take the wet VAC and suck out the clogg and flush. Then I want to insert tee and seal back the original PVC pipe. I bought cement and purple glue. I'm a single female and my family live far away. I think I can do it, but just want a second opinion from someone who knows about this stuff. I've only changed filters and cleaned fan parts on the inside of unit until now. ( I have condensation dripping out of second line into overflow pan under the entire unit)

Last edited by DEMBOYS; 06-23-2012 at 04:34 PM.
DEMBOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

So I'm a little confused. Is your AC on the rooftop then?

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CopperClad For This Useful Post:
DEMBOYS (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

It is on second floor in the laundry room.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

So the AC is on the second floor in the laundry room? and you have access to where the pvc comes into the unit? How is the pvc routed? Straight down and then it turns somewhere and goes to the exterior of your home at grade level? It can only get clogged where it turns.. Just take a hammer and lightly tap the pvc where ever you can reach before you start cutting it loose. You may get lucky.. My only thought .
Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

It is on the second floor of two story house in the laundry/utility room. The main condensation line runs from the HVAC unit out through the wall horizontally. I'm assuming it's supposed to drain out of the drain outside, though I have never witnessed this. I've used wet VAC on the drain I could find outside, but nothing. Now, I'm just ready to cut the main PVC to clean from inside and just seal back with tee and cap. I'm concerned though because I won't be able to place the trap/tee/cap close to the unit. I'll have to place further down on the part that's running horizontally out towards the wall...so I may not be able to keep parts of the pipe from clogging back up. I hope that I'm making sense. I have pics
Old 06-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #6

Ok! I'll try that. Sorry I was late getting your response. Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #7

Its just that when you say you had purple glue I didn't want you cutting into it.. To my knowledge purple PVC glue is just a primer to clean the pipe, not a glue at all.. You need a glue such as Christys red hot blue glue, that is the best pvc glue DIYers can get at home depot or the likes. So you're saying the drain goes straight out horizontally at the second floor? so the drain is not at ground level?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #8

Sorry, I reread your post. Somehow I missed the fact you said you bought cement AND purple primer.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

I tried what you suggested and I could hear water start trickling through the main drain (which is a first)! I've sucked the water out of the overflow pan & now I'm waiting to see if water will still drip out of the secondary line into the pan. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

so the main condensate pan inside the air handler is full and dripping out into the emergency pan...this is what hvac techs do they take a piece of clear hose even cut garden hose with one end wrapped with a wet paper towel rag reach into the opening within the pan where the water should drain out. push it into the hole and blow on the other end of the hose...that bit of pressure will burp the clog down and out of the trap and then cyce water in the pan to verify flow thru that trap....once the water flows run out and verify which line is the main condensate and the other should be the emergency pan.the vac of the line out side won't work unless it is sealed with tape tight on the pipe.do you have a trap at the air handler...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,734

Go out and see if water is coming out the line you use the wet vac on.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

check this YOU TUBE video on condensation run outs and he means "evaporator" in the attic not the condenser... let us know if you see a trap just out of the air handler don't cut any tees in yet...

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, condensate drain, hvac, hvac repair