Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
IBEW Electrician

Share |

My house wont cool and Ive run out of options...

Okay, to begin, I have an Apollo hvac system (hot water coil paralleled with condenser coil with a blower/vacuum motor on the back side that pulls air through the active coil and central return)

So for starters, Ive had 3 people check and tell me my freon levels are good. My condenser coil and hydronic coils are SPOTLESS. The outside A/C compressor unit is kicking on and working. I get comparable pressure to other people homes in my opinion.. My temperature drop is about 12-15 Degrees from the supplies

Heres where it gets weird. My house was built in 2001 in a town home subdivision.. Supposed to be "high efficiency bungalow style" It runs on a 1.5 ton unit which is SMALL but supposed to be adequate for bungalow style homes... my neighbors units seems just fine...There is NO ductwork for supplies but im still getting 12-15 degrees of drop from the SUPPLIES (i know there are places and situations you can use this method, but they didnt even sheet metal the bottom of the joist just drywall or plywood..)... however, my house will not cool even 4 degrees in the summer... In fact some times my house is hotter inside than outside. On an 82 degree day with my AC running for 24-30hrs straight with 12-15 degree cooling coming out, my house temp could range from 79-84 and remain there until night cools and right back up the following day... has anyone has this problem? Ive run out of options...

Thanks! Scott

Last edited by Scott3229; 05-11-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Scott3229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

Scott has anyone been hired to check insulation,air leaks and do a manual J?

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
IBEW Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Scott has anyone been hired to check insulation,air leaks and do a manual J?
Well I had 2 different heating and air contractors out, they said that air does leak through receptacles and switches, but i still get cool air with decent pressure from the supplies, so does that make a difference? but no, i wasnt aware there was a way to test insulation, what is a manual j?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

Manual J calculates how many BTU's your house needs based on insulation,windows,infiltration,house direction and several other factors. A home energy audit with manual J should be the next move. Then you'll know if there's improvements to the home that can be made so the 1.5 ton cools right or if it's just too small no matter what .
Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
IBEW Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Manual J calculates how many BTU's your house needs based on insulation,windows,infiltration,house direction and several other factors. A home energy audit with manual J should be the next move. Then you'll know if there's improvements to the home that can be made so the 1.5 ton cools right or if it's just too small no matter what .

Ah okay, Id would be very interested to see what the says, do you have any idea how much something like that would run?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #6

Our electric company will do it for next to nothing. Call yours and see if they do it or will recomend a good company to use.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

You might have lots of air leaks in the joist spaces they used for duct work.

Can you post pics of your unit, and the joist spaces.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

What's your tree/sun exposure? Do you have window treatments?

I save myself at least a couple degrees by simply closing my blinds when the sun is hitting the windows.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

Did you find a solution for your cooling problem or do the J thing yet? I am having a similar problem cooling my home as well as heating in winter. It seems the outside air is coming in too fast for the hvac to heat/cool the inside air. I suspect that there is a problem with my duct work or I am in need of insulation...among other things. My HVAC was just replace with a trane system last year and it made no difference in the temps.

hollylzahn is offline   Reply With Quote