Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Is my heater too small?

Hi guys

I just finished installing my heater in my shop. It's a 45000 BTU gas heater that used to be in a 32 X 16 X 8 workshop. My new workshop is 36 X 20 X 9 which is about a 30% increase in cubic footage.

The heater, which used to take about 30 minutes to bring the shop from 40 to 50 now takes 2 hours in the new shop. The old shop had 4" thick insulated walls and the ceiling was insulated. The new shop has 6" insulated walls but the ceiling currently has only drywall, although I will be having it insulated eventually.

Is the heat quickly escaping through the ceiling and is that a good part of the reason it is taking so long to heat?

So taking all this into account, is my heater undersized for this new shop?

Some say that a lower BTU heater that runs for longer periods of time is more efficient. Thoughts?

Thanks

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

Is my heater too small?

Ceiling definitely needs insulating as heat rises and that is where it is getting lost. Heater sounds ok for that size of shop but the ceiling is the problem IMO.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

Is my heater too small?

Yeah that sounds about right. It took 2 hours to go up 10 degrees and only an hour to lose it.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Is my heater too small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Yeah that sounds about right. It took 2 hours to go up 10 degrees and only an hour to lose it.

Thanks
ok ,first your dealing with approximately the same square footage,secondly yes a lot of heat is pooling at the ceiling,will insulation help????yes thirdly would a cieling fan be beneficial????uhhhh.... yessssss .....remember,the higher you make the ceilings the greater the temperature differntial between the two.good luck hope that helps a little
DELTA.T4935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

Is my heater too small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTA.T4935 View Post
ok ,first your dealing with approximately the same square footage,secondly yes a lot of heat is pooling at the ceiling,will insulation help????yes thirdly would a cieling fan be beneficial????uhhhh.... yessssss .....remember,the higher you make the ceilings the greater the temperature differntial between the two.good luck hope that helps a little

He increased his sq ft by 29%. And his wall area by 25%.

Richo. If a ceiling has an insulation value of R13, and the difference between indoor and outdoor temp is 50 degree. That ceiling is loosing 1,969 BTUs an hour. If it has no insulation, it is loosing 36,000 BTUs an hour.

After you insulate your ceiling, you will notice a big difference in how it heats your shop.

At the heating time and cooling off time you posted. That heater is still outputting 50% more heat then your shop was loosing at the temp conditions at that time. So if your area gets much cooler then when you noted those times. You might want to get that insulation in a bit sooner then you planned. Or your heating bill will be larger then you thought it was going to be.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #6

Is my heater too small?

Quote:
You might want to get that insulation in a bit sooner then you planned.
Absolutely. I've already started making calls for estimates