Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

my furnace will not turn on

I have my thermostat set at 71 deg. and woke up this morning and the house was at 65 deg. I went down and turned the power off and back on at the furnace and it started working. It will shut off when it reaches the temp set on the thermostat

gotnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #2

remove the stat and jump R to W see if it runs remove jump after 5 minutes re jump does it restart? to jump just unscrew W and screw it down onto R your simulaing the stat here with this stunt ..this will tell us if it's the stat or the actual furnace acting up....basically your sauying that after reset it runs satisfies then never comes on again..if you have a digital STAT check your times that they are AM and PM set with higher temps to call it in...set all the temps the same to make it run straight without time effecting heating all 72F

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotnate View Post
I have my thermostat set at 71 deg. and woke up this morning and the house was at 65 deg. I went down and turned the power off and back on at the furnace and it started working. It will shut off when it reaches the temp set on the thermostat
What the furnace is doing is locking itself out, when you turn the power off and back on your are reseting the control board and the furnace thinks its brand new again. The condition that caused the lock out did not magically go away, its still there.

The single, by far most common cause of lockouts are dirty flame sensors. removing the flame sensor and cleaning it with steel wool or a Emory cloth with solve the lock out most times.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote