My Forced Air Furnace Won't Start - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My forced air furnace won't start

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a forced air oil furnace and yesterday we ran out of oil. I got oil this morning and bled the air out as we did when we first moved in and it had no oil. This time though we can not get it to start. It comes on like it is going to but the shuts off before any warm air comes out. We have been trying for sometime now. It was working fine yesterday until we ran out. Does anyone know what could be the issue? I can't afford expensive repares and we still have at least another month or two of winter left. Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

shannonkcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Does it ignite, and get hot, but shut off before the fan runs.

Or, does it run for 45 seconds and then shut off. If 45 seconds, it probably has a clogged nozzle.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
KGP

Rewards Points: 75

Yeah as he said, if you ran out of oil I would replace the filter and the nozzle. Mine sometimes acts up when it get very very low. Replacing the filter and/or nozzle always clears it up. Sometimes I do need to crack open the little flapper door to get a little more air in there...
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Add "running out of oil" you can't afford to do either as usually it'll involve (as others have said) a new filter, a new nozzle plus the mess of bleeding the oil lines. You were trying to light 'sludge from the bottom of the tank' through a hole the size of a hair - and who knows how many years that stuff has been there...

That's why oil companies offer automatic refills - just so you don't run out. Mind you it's more service business for them but not something they really want to do in mid winter.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Or Saturday or Sundays, when its mild out either.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote