Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

My dehumidifier just died and I need a new one

Tonight my dehumidifier stopped working. I had it for almost ten years. It was a maytag energy star 40 pint and it served me pretty well.

Anyway, I'm debating what kind of dehumidifier to replace it with. In my home, I need it pretty desperately because I have a lot of humid days during the summer but my house sits in the shade. My ac knocks down the temperature easily without running much to remove the humidity.

I keep my dehumidifier in the basement and the area is a little shy of 800 square feet. When I run the dehumidifier all the time during the summer to keep the RH around 50-55%, it makes my whole house feel pretty comfortable. Should I just replace my old with a new 40 pint energy star model? Would there be any advantage in going to a larger model, say a 70 pint?

I was thinking that if I go with a larger model it might start functioning a lot like my air conditioner - turning on and off without having to run for very long periods of time. My old dehumidifier pretty much ran all the time when I kept the humidity setting at 50%. Do the bigger models usually come variable speed motors so they can run for longer periods of time?

I saw a nice looking unit called the santa fe and it's a powerhouse but costs about four times as much as the units I have been looking at.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

strategery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Don't over size or it ill short cycle and raise your electric bill.

strategery (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

3 years ago I had a 50 pint Frigidaire. It lasted 1 year and luckily I was able to get my money back. I switched to a Danby and it's been trouble free for the last 3 years. From the reviews I have read, most dehumidifiers last about 1-2 years then they are junk. The Santa Fe's are nice units but $$, but it may be worth it if it outlasts the regular units.
strategery (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
3 years ago I had a 50 pint Frigidaire. It lasted 1 year and luckily I was able to get my money back. I switched to a Danby and it's been trouble free for the last 3 years. From the reviews I have read, most dehumidifiers last about 1-2 years then they are junk. The Santa Fe's are nice units but $$, but it may be worth it if it outlasts the regular units.
Thanks for the info. I've read some similar feedback. I'm actually amazed that my Maytag dehumidifier lasted as long as it did.

I am debating between a 50 pint and a 70 pint. I'm sort of dehumidifying my whole house with it. It just sits in the basement, but since it's in the coolest part of the house with the highest humidity, it lowers the humidity in the whole house.

I'm thinking about buying an extended warranty, too.
strategery is online now   Reply With Quote