Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 22
Share |

My day in pictures.

First service call of the day, a company had been out a few weeks back and installed a new run cap for this beast. What I found was the dummy left the cap in the box (what you see on the right of the service) and the box was touching the terminals and so the box and terminal caught fire, taking out the new compressor run cap.

Ancient Ruud. Dual condensing coils, one compressor. I called Century (Ruud/Rheem Supply House) and found out the correct size cap, 40.

Then on to the condesner change out. The old Trane we were discussing in another thread. I called Trane and they said both the condenser and the evap were 4 ton.

The new Goodman, unloading.

It was so friggin' hot I had to makeshift a tent for shade, the Goodman condenser box.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
Done That (08-23-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

My day in pictures.

Of course I had more calls. This one confused me as I had been out exaclty 32 days ago for a simple a/c check up and everything was fine. 61 supply air temp and 80 return at that time. This time the compressor would not start or so I thought. Customer said it would cool all day and then only the condenser fan would run, on and off cooling for the past week. I checked the cap which tested good but changed it anyways and still nothing with the compressor. I then pulled off the wiring harness and tested continuity from start, to common to run and in between and sure enough no common. I thought and diagnosed it as a bad compressor. Then the home owner came out and looked dissapointed when I told him his compressor was shot and that I shut off the disconnect. He then said that it does turn on for a while so I then got the picture that it was thermally overloading. Sure enough I put the disconnect back in and the compressor began running. I then pulled off the low voltage at the contactor and it kept running. Doh!

New 2 pole 240 volt contactor and that was it, as well as removing the sound blanket which was melted onto the comrepssor.

Stuck closed.

New contactor. It's all good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
Done That (08-23-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

My day in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

The new Goodman, unloading.

*** Now that addresses something I've been thinking about - the physical handling of the units. Can it be reasonably done by one man ( with a bad back ) alone? With a dolly? I suppose I can get a liftgate delivery, they'll leave it on the walk. But I still have to get one of the condensers up a couple of steps.

- JerryK
jerryk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Willing to listen

My day in pictures.

Thanks for taking time to post some pics during your day.

Are the rocks on the Rheem units someones special vibration dampeners?
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

My day in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk1234 View Post
*** Now that addresses something I've been thinking about - the physical handling of the units. Can it be reasonably done by one man ( with a bad back ) alone? With a dolly? I suppose I can get a liftgate delivery, they'll leave it on the walk. But I still have to get one of the condensers up a couple of steps.

- JerryK

It certainly can. I have an all aluminum dolly with the hard wheels (non inflatable) and high back that my old boss gave me that he bought from Miller Lite. It is defintiely worth it's weight in freon!

Use a strap to strap the condenser to the dolly and no worries. As you can see in the pic, I have to back up to a curb to drop and load units, to give me some lift. I've done it straight to the ground from the tailgate too but it takes a toll after a while, not as easy.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #6

My day in pictures.

If you get a Johnstone catalog it lists most of the recip compressors, and the cap size that it needs. Scrolls have it on the label.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #7

My day in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday

It certainly can. I have an all aluminum dolly with the hard wheels (non inflatable) and high back that my old boss gave me that he bought from Miller Lite. It is defintiely worth it's weight in freon!

Use a strap to strap the condenser to the dolly and no worries. As you can see in the pic, I have to back up to a curb to drop and load units, to give me some lift. I've done it straight to the ground from the tailgate too but it takes a toll after a while, not as easy.
Those drink vendor hand trucks are the best
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

My day in pictures.

At least your day didn't start with this..
Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

My day in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done That View Post
Thanks for taking time to post some pics during your day.

Are the rocks on the Rheem units someones special vibration dampeners?

I thought that ackward as well. Not sure what the case is with that..
Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

My day in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
Those drink vendor hand trucks are the best
Yup, no sudden flat tires causing you to drop a condenser sidways, in front of a customer no less..
Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

My day in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
At least your day didn't start with this..
My day actually started the night before like this, $200 in new tools. Not the recovery, I've had that. New Husky large mouth tool bag, new Husky Pro screwdriver set, new Klein Journeyman Linemans, new Channel Locks, New Husky 8" and 10" adjustable crescent wrenches, new Husky utility knife (not visible, in the tool bag) and since heating season is not too far away, a new Husky 10" pipe wrench.

I love me some new tools!

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 08-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.