My Condensor Fan Capacitor Burst! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Ned

Rewards Points: 10

My condensor fan capacitor burst!

During the night my condensor fan run capacitor burst. The fan motor & the capacitor are one year old. I found the unit not running and I believe the compressor was tripped with a thermal overload. I had another run capacitor. ( the burst one was 7 Mfd I put in a 10 Mfd, both 370 volts). after enough time to cool down it's running normally.

Anyone have any experience that might explain the problem?

Advertisement

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You should install 7MDF.

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Swelling or bursting is pretty common when it gets this hot out.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252
Thumbs up

Long story short.

I bought a Turbo 200 Universal Replacement Motor Run Capacitor this morning because the A/C quit early evening and that's what I needed last time. Mine's a 55/7.5 mfd round dual type. Rep said it very versatile in that it can be modified into almost any size capacitor by using supplied jumpers on terminals. It was not difficult to set jumpers. Turned out it was not my problem this time. My unit is again running fine however. It was a short in old supply wiring.

My neighbor seemed upset this pm, just staring at his A/C unit which had blown its circuit. When reset, fan motor got very hot but would not turn on nor would compressor. And it smelled like a blown capacitor. It blew badly but stayed in its harness. Where to get a 40/5 mfd capacitor on a Saturday late afternoon in very hot NJ?

Seems if I reconfigured my now surplus Turbo 200 we could get his A/C back in no time. Which we did. Magic.

Impressive. Perfect for anyone with multiple A/C units of different sizes or for the trade. I can't vouch for reliability but it certainly worked in a pinch.

Best 'tool' to start such a project? A pad and pencil to write down which wires went where on old part.

Made by AmRad Engineering (American Radionic Co), Palm Coast FL 32137.
www.americanradionic.com
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Ned
Do NOT leave the 10 Mfd in or it will damage the motor.
hvac122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyorpay View Post
Long story short.

I bought a Turbo 200 Universal Replacement Motor Run Capacitor this morning because the A/C quit early evening and that's what I needed last time. Mine's a 55/7.5 mfd round dual type. Rep said it very versatile in that it can be modified into almost any size capacitor by using supplied jumpers on terminals. It was not difficult to set jumpers. Turned out it was not my problem this time. My unit is again running fine however. It was a short in old supply wiring.

My neighbor seemed upset this pm, just staring at his A/C unit which had blown its circuit. When reset, fan motor got very hot but would not turn on nor would compressor. And it smelled like a blown capacitor. It blew badly but stayed in its harness. Where to get a 40/5 mfd capacitor on a Saturday late afternoon in very hot NJ?

Seems if I reconfigured my now surplus Turbo 200 we could get his A/C back in no time. Which we did. Magic.

Impressive. Perfect for anyone with multiple A/C units of different sizes or for the trade. I can't vouch for reliability but it certainly worked in a pinch.

Best 'tool' to start such a project? A pad and pencil to write down which wires went where on old part.

Made by AmRad Engineering (American Radionic Co), Palm Coast FL 32137.
www.americanradionic.com
Expensive to use as replacement but very nice for emergency. Must have item

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote