Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Is my compressor damaged.....

My new home was completed in October and I didn't need to use the AC till the following summer. The day I turned it on, it ran for a few hours before I realized the downstairs zone was not working.

I called the installer and the found that they forgot to open the outdoor valves to the pre-charged condenser last October. He ask how long I ran the unit and I told him a few hours. No conversation regarding damage took place.

Does anyone know what can happen in this case? Should I have a third party test or inspect anything before warranty is up?

Thanks

KenWood

KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

what can happen is the compressor is cooled by the refrigerent running through it . imagine your car with no coolant it over heats. the good news it compressors come equiped with a thermal overload which shuts the unit down before a complete faluire takes place. if this happens once twice no big deal you probubly shaved a few months off its life if at all. But if the claim of a few hours was off (may be a few days) you could have done some real damage.
let the finger pointing begin

geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post

My new home was completed in October and I didn't need to use the AC till the following summer. The day I turned it on, it ran for a few hours before I realized the downstairs zone was not working.

I called the installer and the found that they forgot to open the outdoor valves to the pre-charged condenser last October. He ask how long I ran the unit and I told him a few hours. No conversation regarding damage took place.

Does anyone know what can happen in this case? Should I have a third party test or inspect anything before warranty is up?

Thanks

KenWood
You should complain and ask for an extended warranty. Talk to your builder too.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

nothing.....if the condenser has a LP/HP within the condenser it cycled and or locked out on either.if the liiquid isn't going out that HP tip and if the freon isn't coming back from the evap that would be a LP trip.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Extended warranty time. Most major manufacturers have five year warrantys on residential equipment. Work with your GC. In a perfect world a new condensor (outdoor unit) would be in order...things happen mistakes are made...make it right.

Most residential equipment do not have HP or LP (high and low pressure safeties) unless they are ordered that way, as options.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac service valves