Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

My A/c runs all day struggling to keep up

Looking for help. My 1 ton Heil A/c unit runs from mid-morning to late night until the house reaches the temperature the thermo is set for. I've had someone out to check it out and the said the refrigerant level was fine. Is there a specific temperature reading I should be getting at the vents in the house with a temp gauge, should I check my compressor? Wisdom would be appreciated.

heil ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #2

1 ton unit?......whats the square footage of your house?

HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #3

Actually it is a 2 ton, sorry. I've researched and found that the temp at my vents should be 60 or better and that my insulated line outside the home at the ac unit should be cold and neither is true of mine. The house is 1320 sq ft and about 7 years old. I'm thinking the boy that came out was a crook. He told me my unit was a 1 ton and they would sell me a larger unit. I've ran the numbers on my Heil and it is a 2T.

Last edited by heil ac; 07-29-2008 at 04:14 PM.
heil ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #4

if you run your car AC check what that line feels like coming out of the firewall back to the compressor!go down to your air handler and grab the insulated line coming out that runs out to the condenser should be just as cold.at the condenser with a full charge and the unit running you shoul have 10F rise from the air entering and the air blowing in your face...down at tat air handler your return temp on the filter and taken just above the unit in the duct should be 18F difference.so if your return is even 75F -18...57F possibly 50 even 55 depends on the air flow and the charge.QUICK CHARGE CHECK out at the condenser with it running put a garbage can cover on the top so it blocks the air being discharged out with a brick on top of it to hold it down ...grab the liquid line thinest uninsulated coming out of the condenser....it should heat up as the air stacks in the condener if you don't feel a major rise on that this copper line the charge is low......if the charge isn't at a design level that effects your tonage
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #5

Also do the usual stuff to reduce heat gain - add insulation , shades , etc .
rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote