Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Share |

My A/C is not blowing cold air again

Recently our inside unit started freezing up we called a friend of a friend "supposedly certified tech" he cleaned our units, coils, in & out, recharged & it wasn't cooling our house very well at all after he left it took 8 hours to get bk to 75 from 83 he came bk the next day because the outside unit started making a loud roar when it kicked on & he replaced the contacts & capacitor, that lasted two days & today it started freezing up a little I went outside & the fan is not blowing out hot air like its suppose to its cold? We do have an old unit idk how old we've only lived there 6 years & had it recharged once also fan motor replaced .... The guy wants to come out again & charge us more $$ to blow out the valves & recharge the unit again saying it might save the unit or the compressor is bad? Idk whether to keep paying this man or give up on it until we get a new unit??? Any suggestions

LoriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriV View Post
Recently our inside unit started freezing up we called a friend of a friend "supposedly certified tech" he cleaned our units, coils, in & out, recharged & it wasn't cooling our house very well at all after he left it took 8 hours to get bk to 75 from 83 he came bk the next day because the outside unit started making a loud roar when it kicked on & he replaced the contacts & capacitor, that lasted two days & today it started freezing up a little I went outside & the fan is not blowing out hot air like its suppose to its cold? We do have an old unit idk how old we've only lived there 6 years & had it recharged once also fan motor replaced .... The guy wants to come out again & charge us more $$ to blow out the valves & recharge the unit again saying it might save the unit or the compressor is bad? Idk whether to keep paying this man or give up on it until we get a new unit??? Any suggestions
If you throw enough mud at something eventually some of it will stick. Sounds like a shotgun approach to troubleshooting, replace this... didn't work... OK, replace this and that... no? well then... we will clean this adjust that and replace that... I mean eventually they will have to fix it because they will have done everything you can to the unit.

Why keep throwing money away on someone who obviously has little idea of what your problem is? That being said, there are some problems that are quite difficult to fix and may require multiple calls in order to pinpoint the exact problem but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Get a different company to come and look at it. I believe the site Angies List is the one for contractors.

FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Is it me or are there 2 different posters problems here?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

Lori picked up on a thread from 2011.

Glad to see the mods have straightened it out and she has her own thread now.

Last edited by taxmantoo; 07-30-2013 at 07:27 PM.
taxmantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Friend of a friend. Often is bad news.

Call a contractor if you don't want to DIY.