Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Is my AC working correctly?

I purchased a new 3 ton Rheem split system to replace my 12 year old system. From the get go I have had problems. Initially, all of the refrigerant leaked out of the condenser and the AC contractor (who I have no confidence in, and I was assured he was good but thats another story) came by and refilled the system.

A few days later I called him up because the system was unable to maintain 78/79 degrees with an outdoor temp of over 85. My 12 year old system never had such problems. He proceeded to tell me there was nothing wrong and the pressures were "balls on" but he then added some freon even though he said it didn't need it. He also said that maybe their was a problem with the expansion valve, or something else and he would contact Rheem, etc etc etc. The long and short of it is over the next month or so, he ended up coming back 5 or 6 times each time adding a little freon which made the AC unit function a little better but it still seems to be a very weak system.

Temp differentials:
Temp probe at intake 6 inches in front of Air Handler:
Temp probe 6 inches from exhaust end of Air Handler:
My registers blow a little warmer and the temp differential is around 14 degrees. (I may try to replace the duct work this winter, but I have been unable to locate any leakage after thoroughly searching)

Are these acceptable differentials for a brand new system? My parents 8 year old Trane system blows 20 Degree differential at the registers... My neighbors 3 year old Goodman system blows 20+ at the registers and I imagine a lot more at the actual air handler.

What I am asking here is it worth it to pay another contractor to take a look at the system? I have a 10 year parts warranty but labor is warranted through the initial installer who I have absolutely no confidence in.

Thanks and I apologize for my rather lengthy explanation!

Snoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 54

If he keeps adding refrigerant, and it gets better for a little while. You probably have a leak. If he can't or won't look for the leak. Might as well get another contractor in. Since after its out of warranty. He'll probably try to charge you to find and fix the leak.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #3

Could also have air in the system from the original leak. Ask if he reclaimed all the refrigerant after the first leak was fixed. Did he even fix the leak or just fill it?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Could also have air in the system from the original leak. Ask if he reclaimed all the refrigerant after the first leak was fixed. Did he even fix the leak or just fill it?
Yes the leak was fixed and I do not think it is leaking anymore. The leak was a cracked weld on one of the brass lines inside the compressor/outdoor unit.

But this is exactly what puzzles me, he keeps adding freon, which in turn makes the system blow a little colder, but it still is not that cold. I really cannot understand why their isn't just an optimal pressure for the the gas, instead he just adds a little each time always telling me that it is nearly over-charged. Though each time he adds gas it does lower the cooling differential. Initially i was getting around 13 degrees, after second 'top off' after fix, around 15, and after the last 'top off' I am getting btw 16 and 17 at the air handler (within 6 inches of intake/exhaust). Like I mentioned in my original post, I have found that 16-17 degrees is very sub par and his explanation of how a 3 year old Goodman and an 8 year old Trane system can blow so much colder is that they must be overcharged.....

Last edited by Snoop101; 07-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Snoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop101 View Post
Yes the leak was fixed and I do not think it is leaking anymore. The leak was a cracked weld on one of the brass lines inside the compressor/outdoor unit.

But this is exactly what puzzles me, he keeps adding freon, which in turn makes the system blow a little colder, but it still is not that cold. I really cannot understand why their isn't just an optimal pressure for the the gas, instead he just adds a little each time always telling me that it is nearly over-charged. Though each time he adds gas it does lower the cooling differential. Initially i was getting around 13 degrees, after second 'top off' after fix, around 15, and after the last 'top off' I am getting btw 16 and 17 at the air handler (within 6 inches of intake/exhaust). Like I mentioned in my original post, I have found that 16-17 degrees is very sub par and his explanation of how a 3 year old Goodman and an 8 year old Trane system can blow so much colder is that they must be overcharged.....
The guy's a hack. Call somebody else.
tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote