Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Share |

My AC is 30 years old and runs fine. Should I replace it?

I have a 30 year old trane that I have tried to keep running. I have not had any problems except on really hot days the breaker may trip and only occassionally. Also, once this summer it froze and I had to turn off. I was cooking all day and it was 101 outside. I know at some point it will go. Is it more efficient to replace or should I wait until it starts needing repairs? If I replace it, should I do inside and outside unit at same time? Also, I had an audit done by a contractor several years ago and he wanted to redo my ducts. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

kathtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

30 yrs old is great but at some time soon the compressor may seize up from age and wear and tear or break and it may be on the hottest day of the year, very inconvenient to be shopping around then for a new system and you won't be able to haggle. the indoor unit and it's coil will be incompatible with the new units as the SEER rating won't match or work so yeah you need a new one. if he is a competent contractor and you have poor airflow problems then maybe they need redoing. we cannot tell you that from here w/o seeing them. get 2-3 more quotes and ask them why if they are recommending that but don't mention it. there are quite a bit of NRG $$ 2 B saved with the newer higher SEER units so it is your choice. units go up around 5% and sometimes 10% a yr from inflation so keeping it longer is not always the best idea.

ben's plumbing (08-15-2013), COLDIRON (08-14-2013), kathtex (08-13-2013), plummen (08-17-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #3

30 years!!! I would have to say that the system must have been installed correctly!!!

There is so much for a homeowner to learn, in order to get a great contractor and a great installation.
Start with the basics. Have your contractor complete a full manual D and Manual J.

The manual d will mathmatically figure out the specifications of your current ducts.
The manual J will figure out the heating and cooling load for each room as well as the whole house.

since you home is at least 30 years old, now would be a good time to do some checking and testing of the house envelope!!! you can hire someone to do the work or you can do it yourself!!! You are looking for all air leaks. from the walls, to the doors and windows to the attic to the ducts!!!! I would be happy to help you with some caveman type tests you can do!!!

but first we need more info on the house!!! sq feet, any rooms that are hot or cold. do you have a split system or a package unit. What types of ducts (metal or flex).

its a lot of work, but its so important for a long lasting, cheap to run and comfortable hvac system!!!!
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobinphx For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-15-2013), yuri (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

I want to follow this because I too have the original AC from 1981, mine is a Westinghouse. It works well and can maintain 78 when it is 102 outside with a delta T of 20-22 from supply to return. But is uses a lot of electricity, and where I live electricity is very expensive. ROI for a new system would be only a few years. I would like to do some envelope testing and fixing as well
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

In the OLD days and I started with these units in 78' so I know them well, compressors were built by Tecumseh and Trane and Westinghouse had a similar heavy duty diesel engine quality compressor. Nowadays it ain't so and the Maytag guy wuz an actor. Some are still good but you cannot buy that quality anymore. By todays standards those compressors are a gas guzzling V8 engine and eventually a piston or connecting rod or valve will break and usually on the hottest day when it is workin the hardest. Sealing air leaks saves lots of $$ dough so that is good advice and proper sizing is a MUST. I saw an old Chrysler AirTemp unit running a year ago. Ugly as sin but still chugging along.

Last edited by yuri; 08-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

I'd keep it until something goes significantly wrong and then replace the entire system. They don't build 'em like they used to - we have two 8 year old Carrier builder grade systems that both need to be replaced (poor performimg condensers, leaking coils, bad electronic boards, bad capacitors, etc, etc). Your old one might even last longer than a replacement from today!
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #7

if the compressor craps then a new system will be to your benny ,most companies will push for a total new condenser,furnace/air handler & stat,and update on the Freon which is R-22 right now.30years and it is still going what part of the country are you in.wondering about snow melting down into the condenser during the fall/winter...ever do a condenser fan motor there

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote