Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |

Moving Ventilation Duct

Hi,
I am thinking of moving a main ventilation duct that runs along an interior wall in my house over to the exterior side of my house in order to create a large opening into a room without a duct bulkhead impeding the entrance. This entails adding two 90 degree corners. Will it reduce the efficiency of the heating/cooling and by how much? Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

zonamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #2

Moving Ventilation Duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonamez View Post
Hi,
I am thinking of moving a main ventilation duct that runs along an interior wall in my house over to the exterior side of my house in order to create a large opening into a room without a duct bulkhead impeding the entrance. This entails adding two 90 degree corners. Will it reduce the efficiency of the heating/cooling and by how much? Any guidance is deeply appreciated.
I'm not an expert and never would claim to be, but I've done similar (moving ducts, adding a couple 90s to what was a fairly straight one) and never noticed a difference, the move was well worth it for what I needed to do space-wise. Besides my furnace has a 4-level blower so if your has adjustable blower speeds you could always compensate for the added drag of corners by bumping up the blower speed.

Huskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Moving Ventilation Duct

does the duct supply heat to other rooms?
hpyjack2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Moving Ventilation Duct

There is a real mathmatical science to duct design. Each elbow will add resistance in the air flow. How much resistance depends on the type of elbow (bull head, rounded throat etc). Depending on the current static pressures that your systems is running with, the additional resistance may cause your system to fail earlier than it should. High static pressures in the ducts are like high blood pressure, silent killers of your system. I have no doubt that the duct changes that you are doing, will work just fine for the heating of the room , if you insulate the duct work as it is now on an outside wall. The real question will be static pressure.

do a little research on duct design (static pressure losses, step down duct designs etc). Also if you are going to use flex duct, besure you understand how to install it!! (tight, straight, supported, sealed etc)

good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #5

Moving Ventilation Duct

The duct work is there mainly to supply cooling as this forced air system is a secondary heating system. It was installed to heat an addition (a large solarium), but the previous owners ran the duct work into the main home in order to provide air conditioning.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Moving Ventilation Duct

is it a single trunk with nothing else off of it or are there other smaller ducts feeding off of it?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #7

Moving Ventilation Duct

It is a single trunk with 3 short smaller ducts feeding off of it.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #8

Moving Ventilation Duct

bobinphx is right on, the more bend,curves etc the more resistance. depending how far your moving it might make a noticeable difference