Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |

Moving Outdoor Central A/C Units

I have 2 Trane units outside. One is far along one wall, and the other is beside the other side of that wall's chimney, about 10 feet over. I would like to move the second one beside the first. All the plumbing, etc. goes right behind each one into home.

What is involved is moving these units whatever the correct way is to do so? Is this something an able DIY'er is able to do (no experience though with any major HVAC/Plumbing)? I'm on Long Island, NY. If hired out, what would you guys estimate the cost to be? I've asked one place that services our HVAC systems and the quote I got was around $700 each to move down a wall if I want the wiring/plumbing to come straight out of wall, and if wrapped down exterior wall, then a little less. Is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance.

99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #2

Not something i would attempt as a firsti time DIY project. Yoiu need specialized tools and an EPA refrigerant handling card. The price to me seems in line, however do keep in mind prices vary form arear to area, and what is fair in one place could be considered too high in another.

Let a Pro handle this one for you.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Experienced

You could do the electrical and prep work side of this job and let the pro's handle the tubing side. At least that way you could reduce the overall cost.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

You may want to consider routing the lines yourself (or at least the wiring) and see if you can get a quote on either doing just the refrigerant lines or just evacuating, purging and refilling the refrigerant - if you can move the refrigerant lines yourself.
Nick DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Experienced

Nick DIY Great minds!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #6

lol. Yeah, guess we posted at the same time, but yours got in 1st.
Nick DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #7

First thing is the refrigerant has to be removed or pumped over. The removal of the ac refrigerant requires an EPA card which is required by federal law.

Unless 99altrade has a card he can't legally take the refrigerant from the system. I know nobody here wants to encourage a poster to break the law by advising them to do that.

If he has a set of gauges and knows how to work the liquid and suction line valves he can pump the refrigerant into the condenser.

Otherwise he'll need to have the refrigerant recovered professionally which can cost more than half the cost of what he was quoted to move the condenser.

Gent said he had no experience with plumbing. Do you really think it's prudent to encourage him to reroute the lines himself? The ac piping is critical for refrigerant flow and does require knowledge refrigerant flow.

But if he can braze copper than I would advise him to go ahead and run the copper if he feels confident he can do it.. But I would also advise him to post how he is going to run the copper or if possible post a drawing showing the path he intend to take. Dips that trap refrigerant oil and too many turns and possible kinks must be avoided.

Redoing the electrical can be done by a DIYer as long as the right size conductors and such are run per the local codes.

Nick DIY mentioned getting quotes on evacuation recharging ...That would cost him almost half again the cost of having it professionally moved by a pro.

The OP also assumes the responsibility of his end of the work.
If any of copper joints brazed by the OP leak, the OP assumes responsibility for them.

I have done several relocations of condensers and have had a few where the Homeowners brazed joints did not hold. If I fix it it cost more.

So yeah, DIY is possible, but for this project it takes a lot more than just mechanical ability, you have to have equipment for the job.