Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #1

Share |

Moving and improving a central AC unit

I have a Carrier Synergy 2000 central AC, and since it is right outside the bedroom window of the home we just purchased, I am looking to move it about 30 feet. Since it is 15 years old, I am also looking to upgrade the efficiency, however the $14.5K I was quoted from a local pro to put in a new unit (and therefore, a whole new HVAC, which surprised me) is way out of my price range. Is there much useful that can be done in the line of servicing/reconditioning the existing unit? And would it make sense to replace the R-22 with R-410A coolant?

Thanks!

Nathan

Last edited by NHoepner; 07-13-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction
NHoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
DKS

Wow,must been a trane quote. What part of the world are you in?might be able to send you in the right direction

DKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #3

I am in Fresno, CA.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

If you are going to stay in that house for many years, yes, go for 410a. $14k is high, shop around, you may get a much cheaper price.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
vln
Underwriter

$14K is EXTREMELY high. What type of unit were you quoted on? Both heat and air? Or just air? That is insane.
vln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

<...and since it is right outside the bedroom window of the home we just purchased, I am looking to move it about 30 feet>

Did that quote include the move? New concrete pad, possible reworking duct work and/or electric.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
vln
Underwriter

Cost $5K for brand new heat and new air conditioning for a house that never had air before. That was with everything included for a 3 ton unit and 4 ton furnace.

In my old place, the guy moved the unit from sunny location to the side of the house and it cost him less than $1,500 for all the labor of moving it, etc...

I would just keep the unit you have unit it dies, then think about having the new one placed somewhere else.
vln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vln View Post
Cost $5K for brand new heat and new air conditioning for a house that never had air before. That was with everything included for a 3 ton unit and 4 ton furnace.

But that wasn't a 23 SEER 2 stage unit that you had installed.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
30 year tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vln
$14K is EXTREMELY high. What type of unit were you quoted on? Both heat and air? Or just air? That is insane.
How can you possibly say the price is high when you have no idea what was quoted or how hard the job might be.
Around here that would be a reasonable price for high effeciency equipment.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #10

Just got 16 SEER Goodman A/C, an Amana furnace, and a new 50 gallon %68 efficiency water heater + sub panel for electrical and an extra cold air return for my basement all for about 8k in Canada. Full furnace removal etc.

Sounds like your quote is quite high.
design_lover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

It ALL has to do with the cost of living in one area vs another. 1000 sq ft house in Winnipeg may be $250,000 and may be $500,000 in Toronto and $750,000 in Vancouver. Cost of living is 2x in Vancouver vs Winnipeg so the cost of AC units and labor is 1.5 to 2 x higher. Also depends on what quality of units are being quoted. Chev Cavalier vs the Cadillac.

Last edited by yuri; 07-15-2011 at 06:00 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_lover13 View Post
Just got 16 SEER Goodman A/C, an Amana furnace, and a new 50 gallon %68 efficiency water heater + sub panel for electrical and an extra cold air return for my basement all for about 8k in Canada. Full furnace removal etc.

Sounds like your quote is quite high.

Goodman is known as one of the lesser expensive brands. They only came out with a "true" 2 stage A/C in the last year or 2. Is that Amana an Amana Distinctions? If so, its not an Amana, its a Goodman rebadged. Amana doesn't make a builders grade line, so they rebadge Goodman builder grade units.

If you don't see a line name on it. Look at the model number, if it starts with a G, its a Goodman, if it starts with an A, its an Amana.

A 68% efficient water heater? Didn't knows that low was legal.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHoepner View Post
I am in Fresno, CA.
Call Smilanick AC for another quote. They're honest folks, and they know what they're doing.

This may be the wrong time of year to try to get a good deal out of Fresno a/c contractors. All the good ones are busier than one-armed paper hangers. Although I see the temps have fallen out of the triple-digits....

- Jerry K
jerryk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerryk1234 For This Useful Post:
NHoepner (07-27-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #14

Thanks for all the posts and advice! I think the Fresno area does have something to do with the prices quoted to me. This is not the most expensive area in California, but it is California and nothing comes cheap here.
The specific quotes I got were: move the unit and run new lines from that position into the wall, new concrete pad: $1350. From another contractor: move the unit, new concrete pad, lines on the surface with conduit cover, $995; move the unit, new concrete pad, lines trenched underground, $1500.
The first contractor also quoted me for a whole new HVAC (AC, Furnace, air handling unit), $14K. He said I cannot replace just the AC, if I replaced that I would have to replace the whole thing.
So right now, I am builing a noise barrier around the AC unit (on two sides, 5 feet high, wood frame with Hardie Backer and styrofoam pads). If that doesn't do it, then I will get one of these contractors to move the unit.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #15

Well, so far the noise barrier I've built is not getting it done. I may try adding a bit more to it, but probably have to look at moving the unit. It has a sound blanket on the compressor already, would it make sense to add another one on top of it?