Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Moving HVAC Vent in Wall

Hi Everyone:

I re-building a wall so it can accommodate pocket doors -- the only problem is that there is a heating duct coming up from the basement (this is the second floor). I need to move the duct as shown in the photos, because where the duct is presently is going to be the stud for the pocket door rough opening. The duct work needs to stay under to floor so the pocket door can move over it. There is 16 in between floor joists and an approx 5 in cavity between the subfloor (current floor will be subfloor for new wood floor) and the ceiling joist of the floor below. These pictures should help explain. Any suggest on how to make this one happen? I was thinking about a 90 degree elbow to round connector and then using some flex ducting to bring up to the new wall register. Any other ideas?

CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Moving HVAC Vent in Wall

How are you going to get to the next space over without cutting floor joist? Can't cut joists. Also looks like it is wrapped in asbostos???

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #3

Moving HVAC Vent in Wall

The joist you are referring to is actually a piece of lumber spanning the joists of the ceiling below. There's about 6 inches of clearance between it and the floor above. The floor joists are not visible since the flooring is still attached to them, but they are marked in red on the pictures.

I think you are correct in that it is asbestos covered. I have been using a cartidged respirator when dealing with it. A penny found in the duct cavity leads me to believe it was constructed in the 40s.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #4

Moving HVAC Vent in Wall

One additional question -- I suspect I may need custom duct work -- has anyone ever specified and ordered some with a vendor over the web?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #5

Moving HVAC Vent in Wall

Just as a quick follow up, I ended up using wall stack ducting and bending a round collar into an oval to fit the old duct to the wall stack. From there I used a transition to semi-flex conduit. Had to tear up quite a lot of floor, but it ended up mainly getting covered by the new wall. Here's some pics to give you an idea!

I ordered most of my supplies from Audobon Supply, who I was very happy with.

http://www.audubonsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,92.html
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Moving HVAC Vent in Wall

*Bump*

I am having the same issue with my newly purchased house... Just wondering if you had any pictures of the finished product? And how has it been working? do you notice any loss in heat or air flow?

Thanks

mooseboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote