Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Share |

Moving heat from wood stove in basement

I apoligize if this has been covered - I read some posts but didn't address my issue.

I have a blank slate (unfinished basement) and want to take advantage the blank canvas and ensure I can move the heat from my wood burning stove. I will be finishing off the basement but want to do whatever duct work needed to circulate the air as best as possible.

I have a ranch style house - about 1400 square feet on main level with the potential for 1000 square feet downstairs. New harman oakwood (Love it!!) wood stove in the corner of the basement in 23 X 14 eventual family room. Room currently has one supply... standard 36" doorway at the opposite corner of the stove is almost below stairway which leads upstairs to open family room/dining room/kitchen.... bedrooms are on the other side of the house.

I have gas-force furnace and basically have cold air return for each supply on main floor located on the bottom wall.

I want to move the air from downstairs stove as well as possible. got two estimates yesterday for ducting basement family room:

one wants to run new cold air return trunk along supply run and have the return located up high, one by the stove and the other towards opposite end of the room.

the other guy wants to tap into exitising cold air return pan in the other room and have one cold air return at the door - opposite end of the stove - towards the floor.

Let me know if you would like more information....

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each and possibly some better ideas... I appreciate all the expertise on this site although I am a newbie..

Thanks, in advance.!!!

Mike
Mike in MN is offline   Reply With Quote