Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Lehigh Valley PA

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Moving heat to bedrooms...

I purchased a Lopi Freedom fireplace insert this year to burn all the nice wood I get from cutting up downed trees and removing ones people don't want.
This thing heats my living room area and kitchen / dining area VERY well, and is soooo much more efficient than the fireplace or the electric radiant floor heat.
My problem is the bedrooms down the hall aren't being warmed by this and I know I have excess heat in the living area.
I purchased one of those doorway fans and put it at the front of my hallway but it doesn't seem to move air very well and also seems to be cooling down the air as it's pushing it through.
What I was thinking of doing is putting a medium size register in the ceiling above the stove and running duct through the attic back to the bedrooms with some type of fan to circulate the air to the other side of the house.
What is the best way to do this? Is this okay to do? What do I need to figure out to do it properly?
I can measure my runs and room sizes if necessary. I just wanted to get a post up and something going that I can work with right now.
Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Nhrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #2

Fireplaces are basically space heaters, they don't convert well to whole house heaters no matter what you try to do,in my experience. You need a wood furnace.

bungalow_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
jkv

If you try to run a duct to the other side it will only make things worse. The fan you put in only cooled the air as it moved though it, the duct would be worse than that. The funace will be the only option for that, you will have to have a duct heater inside your duct to rewarm the air moving though and that would defiet your purpose.
jkv is offline   Reply With Quote