Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Moving furnace & redoing ducting

Cliffs:
Looking to move my existing gas furnace/AC over 10 ft or so for several reasons including doing new ducting. I realize I'll have to pull permits, do load calculations etc run a new B-vent, get a pro to evacuate the AC condenser to extend the line etc. Looking for input on someone who has actually done such a thing on stuff to look out for.

Unabridged:

Mapping out my basement AND kitchen remodel :-)

Looking to redo the configuration of my basement some. There's a utility area but I want to move the gas furnace over about 10 ft to the corner of the basement. This way I can shrink the utility area (which currently takes up about 1/4 of the basement), put it behind one closet and have more of the basement can be used as living space adding an extra window (that's in said utility area). The furnace is an 80% med efficiency unit. I'd love a high efficiency condensing furnace but this unit is only 5 years old and should have plenty of life. Not economical to replace the furnace for the gas savings

My other reasons:

1) Chance to redo the ducting
Basement is 1000 sq ft total but has low ceilings at 7 ft and only one supply vent . Thus it does not get much conditioned air. It's always freezing cold down there . I plan to redo the ducting in my house. The ducting currently runs parallel to the beam and under it is only 6'3 . I have been consulting with a company that helps homeowners do DIY ducting (www.ductworks.net) so they'll do load calculations and sizing etc. They said it's OK to run the ducts vertically along the long wall of the basement, so I'll use horizontal space rather than vertical space. This would also be another reason for moving the furnace to the corner of the basement as the furnace would now be on the side wall rather than the middle. I also may insulate and seal off this utility area (of course, giving it the proper venting for combustion air) to help deaden the sound from the furnace when it's on and perhaps increase the operating efficiency some.

Another reason- is the house has reverse flow venting- the supply is in the interior walls and the returns are in the exterior walls
Also by doing it this way, I can keep the furnace hooked up while putting in the new ducts, then have the furnace moved.

2) The furnace and water heater currently vents out a masonry chimney in the middle of the house. Since the house is small, it's taking up valuable room in the kitchen on the floor above and in the basement. If I can get rid of the chimney, it will allow me to put in more counter space or a wall oven in place. I have a closet I can run the B pipe up to vent out the roof , it'll just have to be enclosed.

Of course I'll need to pull the proper permits to run a new venting system, move the furnace and water heater, and hire a pro to extend the A/C condenser lines and re-run the gas. I've done a good amount of research on this project but was wondering if anyone has done this, anything else to look out for?

cbrc5eric is offline   Reply With Quote