Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #1

Share |

Moving ductwork in basement

Hello All-

Thanks for having me aboard.

I'm reasonably handy around the house but admit ducts and ductwork are not in my skillset.

I've found a house that I'd like to bid on, a large ranch with rehabbed first floor and raw basement. Finishing out the basement would result in a very valuable investment.

There's a new furnace in place at one end of the basement, with a large rectangular metal box (trunk?) running down the smack middle of the room. It's hanging from straps and is just 4" over my head when I walk through. (I'm 6'2"). I have family members (no, not the wife, heh) that are well over 6'5" and would have to duck every time they walked through the room. It would be even worse if I boxed it in and drywalled it.

Question: Can I move this duct to the side of the room, maybe run it along the wall? I understand it may be costly. And I'm sure there are some efficiency concerns.

And I'm not sure the furnace is rated for two stories. I can check on that. That said, even if it's only meant for the upstairs, I still need to move the duct. I can use other methods to heat the basement.

Thanks for any info.

Manicboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

Hopefully someone who really knows will have some advice, but I think someone would need to see it to really give you an informed decision.

I've seen ducts put into two houses (one being mine), and talked with the guys doing the work (asked a fair number of questions). It seems like instaling ducts is as much art as science. There is some science involved in sizing the ducts and the blower and so forth, but there's an art to putting the ducts in to minimize resistance in the lines and getting even heat throughout the house.

If you put more angles into the duct work, you will reduce the efficiency.

The large metal box might be the return, and not the supply.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

Hello Manicboss...
While it has been some time since you posted this question with not real answer. I am posing the same question as you...what ever happened with you duct work problem? Were you able to move it?

Thanks.
Darrin
DarrinG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, ducts, ductwork, hvac