Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Share |

moving central air conditioning unit

We are moving into a manufactured home about 2 miles from our current home and want to take our central A/C with us. Is that possible and, if so, any idea what a professional might charge us to do the move and new hook up?

coopeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Probably need a different size A/C for the manufactured home.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopeli View Post
We are moving into a manufactured home about 2 miles from our current home and want to take our central A/C with us. Is that possible and, if so, any idea what a professional might charge us to do the move and new hook up?
And, what is the new home owner supposed to do. A home with central air sells quicker, than one without. As for the new place, have fun with it not working properly, due to under or over sized, compared to if it was proper for the existing structure to begin with.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
REP

Instead of being sorry you can't take your a/c with you,be glad,be very glad that you now have the ability to have a proper manuel "J" and a manuel "D" done so that you can be sure you are not paying too much every month for your cooling.
This is possibly the best thing that has happened to you in a long time.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

I would charge no less than $5000.00. It's more work to remove and re-install an a/c system then it is to just install a new one.

You have to be certain that you have the right size system for the new home.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Instead of being sorry you can't take your a/c with you,be glad,be very glad that you now have the ability to have a proper manuel "J" and a manuel "D" done so that you can be sure you are not paying too much every month for your cooling.
This is possibly the best thing that has happened to you in a long time.
And how many homeowners do you know, that actually do a manual J. If I ever get around to insulating my home walls, more up in the attic, replacing the windows & doors, the 2 ton ac, and the 73k btu furnace will be overkill.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
REP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
And how many homeowners do you know, that actually do a manual J. If I ever get around to insulating my home walls, more up in the attic, replacing the windows & doors, the 2 ton ac, and the 73k btu furnace will be overkill.
What ever the manuel "J" and manuel "D" cost will pay for itself the first year,if not then certainly the first 3 years and after that its money in your pocket.
Of course its your life and if it makes you feel better to climb from the pot into the pan and fry your monthly paycheck up every month then have fun.
I myself have worked too hard to blow my money on utility costs.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Same here. This summer was cruel with costs to operate the air, compared to previous. This summer for us, also was the first full year for our unit, since it was just installed in Aug of 2010. After tweaking the Swing & Differential on the thermostat, it made a huge difference in costs to operate.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #9

Vegas is bad for oversizing, never seen a contractor here do a manual J.
My house had a 4 ton unit and when I replaced it, I went with a 4 ton. Most of my neighbors all went up to a 5 ton.
I have a new 3 ton gas pack thats been sitting in my garage for quite some time now and although several people have told me that it wont cool my house, they are all going on the 400 sq ft per ton rule.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

What do you expect for Vegas Sammy. Majority of those people could not punch their way out of a paper sack. I could have gone with a 1.5 ton, but some time down the road, we want to expand to the attic space for a second bedroom and bath, I could stay with the 2 ton and 73k btu furnace and still have no problems with it working. Just have to adjust the diff & swing a little.

The only thing that I found out with my thermostat, which I thought that they were separate programs, is that if you adjust the swing or diff for one state such as cool or heat, it adjusts for both. It would have been nice, if it was a part of the off thermostat programming, that I could make those adjustments from the program that I run to monitor the thermostat, vs. making them at the thermostat.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What do you expect for Vegas Sammy. Majority of those people could not punch their way out of a paper sack. I could have gone with a 1.5 ton, but some time down the road, we want to expand to the attic space for a second bedroom and bath, I could stay with the 2 ton and 73k btu furnace and still have no problems with it working. Just have to adjust the diff & swing a little.

The only thing that I found out with my thermostat, which I thought that they were separate programs, is that if you adjust the swing or diff for one state such as cool or heat, it adjusts for both. It would have been nice, if it was a part of the off thermostat programming, that I could make those adjustments from the program that I run to monitor the thermostat, vs. making them at the thermostat.

Boy you got that right! I hate Vegas but my wife and I own a company here, so were stuck.
We have 1835 sq ft and I think if I add more insulation and tighten things up a little, 3 tons may work. If it doesnt work, I'm only out the cost of a crane visit and a new stand 250 bucks total.
I visited my father in law in Austin TX last year in July and was amazed that his vintage 1984, 1950 sq ft house was being cooled by a new 2 ton Bryant system and although the temp in the house did creep up a few degrees during the day, the house always felt cool and comfortable.

Our house on the other hand, always feels drafty and short cycles on anything but the hottest days, so I know we can drop some tonnage here.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote