Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Moving AC condenser?

Just wanted to get a few opinions. My AC condenser is on a concrete pad, and surrounded by my deck so it makes it an awkward layout. I want to move the condenser to a different location so I can re-do my deck in a more streamline manner. I just want to get a rough idea from you folks of how much it is going to cost me (don't worry about electrical, got a buddy who will do that) to see if I can even budget for it this year before I bring out some companies for quotes. Thanks in advance for any help!

nvycrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Moving AC condenser?

It is not cheap due to labor cost. Average company charges $100/hr. I will give you the high end worst case cost. 2 hrs to disconnect it and save the freon inside the outdoor unit. 3 hrs to reconnect it depending how much new freon line needs to be added.

5 hrs x $100 plus another $100 for the freon line = $600 plus taxes. Some companies charge over $100/hr and some less but it is average at $100. traveling time to the job is included in my estimate.

If it is over 20 yrs old or worn out I would not spend over $600 on it but invest it in a new unit. Post the make, model and serial # and we can age it 4 U.

Last edited by yuri; 03-27-2014 at 08:48 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #3

Moving AC condenser?

How far do you want to move it?
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
yuri (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Moving AC condenser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
How far do you want to move it?

GOOD point. You cannot go over 50 feet of Freon line w/o increasing it's size and replacing what you have and that gets REAL expensive. Measure what you have now and subtract it from 50 to get how far you can move it.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Moving AC condenser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
GOOD point. You cannot go over 50 feet of Freon line w/o increasing it's size and replacing what you have and that gets REAL expensive. Measure what you have now and subtract it from 50 to get how far you can move it.
Im not an HVAC guy but I did recall there were limits on distance.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

Moving AC condenser?

got a guy coming out in a bit. the plan is to move it about 20 ft. Right now it sit just on the outside wall where the furnace is so there is probably less than 5' of Freon line now. I live just a few blocks from the company so hopefully that will save me some travel charges! lol. I will post make/model as soon as I get outside...
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Moving AC condenser?

Here is the tag on the condenser outside
Attached Thumbnails
Moving AC condenser?-ac3.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

Moving AC condenser?

I apologize for the picture being sideways. Not sure why they all do that when I post on here. all the pics are upright on my computer...
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Moving AC condenser?

It is a 2004 Lennox and worth moving.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #10

Moving AC condenser?

thank you Yuri! Will finish getting some bids. Talked to a guy here in town and he said we wont have to drain the refrigerant because of some valves that are in there. so that should save a few bucks. Just gonna have to run some longer line, run longer electrical...shouldn't be too bad?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Moving AC condenser?

You don't drain it , they just shut those valves on the outdoor unit where the Freon lines attach and run it a bit and the Freon gets stored in the outdoor unit. Does take some time to do that. I gave you the worst case scenario, usually it takes a bit less but depends on who does it. DO NOT go for the cheapest quote or they may screw up the Freon level later. A bit of it gets lost in the process and they have to add some to fill the extra line and that costs $$ to. You get what you pay for and use a reputable dealer or you may be sorry.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #12

Moving AC condenser?

Yeah, Im using Comfort Solutions out of Springville (just down the street from me) and he said that we would lose a little but not enough to make a difference, but if for some reason his guys lose more than they should, he would have them refill it. He already said he doesn't want to top it off so I'm pretty sure he will make his guys be extra cautious...should have a quote for it today, will let you all know how it goes!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Moving AC condenser?

Technically and this is what seperates the Pro's from the non Pro's they should check the superheat and Freon charging chart that Lennox has for that unit and may be on the back of the elec box cover and adjust the charge accordingly. Most Pro's have charts and can do it according to the SEER efficiency rating if there is no Lennox chart. That is also done when a Pro does maintenance. They should have to add a few ounces but it kinda sounds like his guys don't do what I said should be done. LOTS of them don't know how. Not sure how you can make sure you get one and if you question him he may not know or get snarky. If not done properly the unit can overheat or freezeup and you lose the amount of cooling as less Freon = less cooling.

Last edited by yuri; 03-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote