Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Mounting a window AC outside

I'm trying to figure out how to cool a home office. Long story short, I'm looking for an AC that I can place outside in the backyard, and run a tube in through a window for the cool air.

Long story: It's a small house, 600 sq ft. See digram showing door and window locations. There's a 10000 BTU A/C mounted in the living room, but the office and bedroom are too hot, and the office has computer equipment generating a lot of heat. Ideally I would put another window A/C in the office, but that window is a narrow slider, so it won't fit. I don't have enough floor space for a portable AC, so I would like some kind of AC in the backyard that ducts cool air through the office window.

Right now my best idea is to put a 5000 BTU window unit outside, weatherproof it, run two ducts through the window, and control it with a WiFi-enabled power strip. Does that sound reasonable, or are there any other inexpensive ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting a window AC outside-house.gif  

ebalsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 83

How do you feel about cutting a hole in the wall? That's how I did mine since I have the "wrong" type of windows too.

Especially a 5,000 btu unit won't produce a lot of air velocity out of the vents, and I'm afraid any type of duct solution won't allow enough of the output air to actually flow into the room and disperse. Plus, with both the evaporator and condenser sitting outside in the sun, you will lose a lot of cooling ability. Especially if you are trying to cool outside air and blow it into the office. Air conditioners are meant to recirculate the same inside air over and over as they cool it, otherwise it will not be able to keep up.

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk

Last edited by Syberia; 08-01-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Syberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

I guess a hole in the wall is a possibility. I'm leasing the house, and while I think the landlord would agree to cut the hole, that would mean the AC unit is permanent, and I'd prefer to take it with me when I move out.
ebalsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Get a portable unit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Premium08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

They make window units for sliders.
There narrow and taller.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,022

I would install a Mini Split unit. You just need a small hole through the wall 2 to 3 " to run the electrical, drainage and line set. The unit is real quite all the noise is outside. Way better than a window shaker. More expense but worth it. Besides the way your thinking won't work.