Most Efficient Method To Operate Home Heating System - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Most efficient method to operate home heating system

My heating system is baseboard hot water from a oil fired boiler. I have a question about the most efficient way to operate this system. In the winter, we set the daytime temperature at 66 degrees & lower to 58-60 at night. In the morning when we move the thermostat to 66, the system runs for quite some time in order to heat the house back to 66.

(1) Would it be more efficient for the night setting to be higher, say 62 degrees, so that the system does not have to run so much in the morning?

(2) Is there a way I can run an experiment to determine the most efficient night temperature setting?

Thank you.

Advertisement

goshenplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Most efficient method to operate home heating system

A 6 to 8 temp rise is going to take a while.And it should be expected. Your operating it fairly efficiently now. A smaller set back will mean it doesn't run as long to recover, but that it uses more oil over night. Reducing the amount of oil you save.

Advertisement