Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #1

Share |

More Advice Please

I have a 18-20 year old Carrier gas furnace and air conditioner. I am thinking about replacing the furnace in the next couple of weeks as a proactive measure. I am thinking about replacing the A/C as well at the same time and a humdifier. The furnace that I am thinking of buying is a variable speed 95 efficient. More options are an upgraded filter, ranging from $400-$1000, and UV lights.

Can someone here provide good guidance? Is it wise to be proactive, or wait until it breaks and hope that it isn't -10 degrees. Also, what about the air filters? My family doesn't have any real allergy problems.....

Please shed some ideas and advice...

Thanks

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #2

More Advice Please

I'd recommend shopping for a Goodman or an Amana, both are now made by Amana which gets very good ratings from most installers I know.
You should begin hunting for a unit that has fewer BTU's than what your system has as of now. the current logic and energy efficiency comes from using smaller units that need to cycle for multiple shorter periods rather than the oversized that cycle fewer times with more gas output per time.
The increased energy efficiency for a furnace with a rating over 80% comes primarily from the units having the capacity to reburn the emmissions before they leave out the vent.

RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
no loose ends

More Advice Please

When I see a furnace or ac in need of repair, and its this old, I would try to encourage you to replace it. Though it works now, you're prolonging the inevitable--not to mention the fuel and energy your waisting, and the cost of equipment isn't getting any less expensive anytime soon.
Goodman bought Amana. Unless their policy has changed, getting parts is like pulling teeth--this may not be so everywhere, however. Check 'April-Aire'--I think thats there website. They'll have everything your interested in for home air filtration/purification/humidification.
undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #4

More Advice Please

What part of the country are you in? Dual fuel is a much cheaper way to heat and if you are replacing your cooling anyway, the cost is not tremendously more.
I agree with replacing it based on the age. Have a load calculation performed, I personally feel, if it isn't offered, than I would not use that contractor.
U/v lights we are finding out in most cases don't work effectively enough(unless you buy many) and can damage ductboard and drainpans.
Newer filters are effective, but the question is ALWAYS what kind of shape is your duct system in.Most duct systems are undersized and leak 20% or more of their air.Adding a high quality filter to an undersized system can put more of a strain on it.
VAheatcool is offline   Reply With Quote