Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Monessen Gas Fireplace Insert

Holiday greetings. I had a Monessen insert installed in the last 3 weeks to replace a wood burning fireplace. Installation was performed by an authorized dealer.

I have had the blower actually burn up wires TWICE and sparks fly out of the unit since installation. Issue 1

In addition, when the installer returned to install the remote, he removed all of the manual controls. I was not home at the time and found this out later. His response is that this is standard and that there is not enough room for both the remote box and the manual controls. I found this a bit odd and called Ambient Technologies to see if that was what they expected and they were absolutely floored and did not support removal of the manual operation controls. Issue #2

I now discover that my "brand new, state of the art" Monessen gas insert may actually be a model that is going on 5 years old, but I am certain I paid 2008 prices! Issue #3

The fan/blower is so loud that we have to increase the volume on the television to hear it over the blower. The installer says this is just the way it is. Issue #4

Looking for anyone who has had a Monessen/Majestic gas inser installed to find out your experience. I am gathering as much information as I can so that when I meet with my contractor after the holidays, I am as informed as I can possibly be.

Thanks much.

fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

no its not normal to remove the manual controls in my experiance the valve is usually a remote compatable valve anyways all your doing is adding a electronic box in series with the exsisting manual swich so you now have a electronic switch and a manual one the box is only about 5x2x4 not very big and can be mounted almost anywhere even outside of the control area and hidden by something that will allow the ir signal to pass thru it id ask monessen if they could send a rep out to inspect the install and you may want to have your gas supplier come out and inspect the gas work if it wasnt inspected by them,(should have had a permit pulled for the gas work) as far as the motor its probably chinese crap and they are loud but should be multi speed also hope this helps also id take pictures of everything if you think you can get satisfaction out of the original installer then you could give them one shot to make it as monessen suggests it should be

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

You are not satisfied with the product and the install and it appears for good reason.

I would be calling them back and have them do some explaining especially for a 5 year old model.

The fan should have several different speeds on it and I would be putting it on the lowest one. This will reduce the noise considerably.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 12-25-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I am totally bummed by what I believe to be a poor installation and over charging for a 4-5 year old model. I will certainly be having a conversation with the contractor. Just waiting to hear back from Monessen. Will keep you all posted -- and thanks for confirming my worst fears -- there is comfort in knowing that even what you know you know is not good!
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote