Mold By Upstairs Register - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Mold by upstairs register


Hi all!

I didn't see this addressed in any other posts so please pardon me if it's already been discussed!

We live in a 2-story townhouse that was built in the mid-eighties. The original a/c unit is STILL working (so the warranty company won't replace it just yet) but it sure is a pain to heat up in the winter/cool off in the summer.

We just noticed a spot in an upstairs bedroom: there is a ceiling register about 6 inches out from a window in the room - usually it has condensation dripping from it in the summer (so we can't have any furniture under it) - but a few days ago I noticed some black colored mold or mildew on the corner of the register.

It's not black mold as in the dangerous kind as far as we can tell. It's not grown in size and there's no mold anywhere else, including the area behind the filters (we wiped inside to see).

Thinking of just spraying it with Lysol to see if that kills it - anyone ever seen something like this before?

Advertisement

homemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,393
Rewards Points: 2,448
Default

Mold by upstairs register


Gypsum has paper, mold & mildew loves paper type products. I would be getting into the ceiling to find out why there is air leakage up there allowing the vents to condense. Seal the joins and seal any air leaks, along with more insulation up in the attic should help to eliminate most of that problem.

Advertisement

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: indiana
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Mold by upstairs register


Black mold is a slow growing mold and is probably not the mold you have but I had an AC unit in an attic and it would rain through the floor because HVAC ducts were not insulated. Just like last post make sure all ducts are insulated very well.
ssleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a/c , ceiling register , mold


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to - prevent basement mold crazymountain How To Guides 36 07-23-2014 07:02 PM
Mold on roof sheathing!!! DIYMILF Roofing/Siding 10 08-14-2011 10:11 PM
Mold found - unsure what to do?? izzyant88 General DIY Discussions 12 06-17-2011 07:21 AM
To turn off the upstairs AC or not Big Dawg HVAC 18 08-11-2010 07:15 PM
Concrobium or White Vinegar? eis61374 Remodeling 8 11-17-2008 07:56 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts