Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Share |

Modifying Grundfos Comfort Series Instant hot water recirculator

The Comfort System includes a Grundfos UP15-10SU7/TLC circulator and the revolutionary Comfort Valve. The stainless steel circulator, complete with timer and 10-foot power cord, is installed directly to the hot water discharge on the water heater. The Comfort Valve is installed under the sink at the fixture furthest from the water heater, and the system uses the existing cold water line to return hot water to the water heater.

I don't want to use the under the sink valve. Instead I want to use a separate hot water recirculation line back to the indirect Triangle Tube Smart 60 water heater, which has a separate connection for this purpose.

Do I need an inline check valve to prevent thermal siphoning?

Has anyone ever bypassed the timer and wired a push button for a recirculating system similar to d'mand recirculating systems?

I want to use this pump (Grundfos UP15-10SU7P/TLC) because I can get it for a very low price under $100.

Mike Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #2

I want to do the exact same thing in my house and dont really like the cold water return idea either. Did you get it done? What kind of pipe, wire and switches did you use? If not then maybe my post will draw attention to the this thread again. Any plumbers out there? My house is on a slab but the wh is in the attic and I can get a line (proly pex) from there to the other end of house and down a partition to a vanity. About 50 total feet of return line. I want to put a switch at every sink (4) in the house so wires will have to be run through attic (plenty of room) and down partitions too. My water heater is a NG 40 gal.

ididit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #3

I used Uponor Wirsbo 1/2" Aquapex with the Uponor brass connectors to tie into my copper plumbing. You definitely need a stainless steel pump because the potable hot water is always replenishing rust causing oxygen from the city supply water. My pump is a Watts model 500800 (rebranded Grundfos). I took the timer out of it and hardwired it to a 6215M Leviton Decora timer switch. This switch has 4 presets of 2, 5, 10, and 15 minutes, with an off also. My shower hot water only takes 5 to 10 seconds to fully heat up. It would be faster, but my recirculation line ties in about 8 feet from the shower head, and that (although heavily insulated) runs up an attic wall. Without this pump it used to take over 45 seconds to heat up especially on a zero degree winter day. This is saving me quite a bit of water from going down the drain. The shower is nearly 50 feet from my Triangle Tube Smart 60 indirect fired water heater.

Haven't checked the forum in awhile, sorry this reply took a couple months.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #4

Besides, I didn't fire up my system until this January.