DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   modify return trunk (

rreale 11-29-2010 03:18 PM

modify return trunk
3 Attachment(s)
I want to finish part of my basement. i want to sheetrock the ceiling. But there is a return trunk (?) in the way. As you can see in the pics, below the return is a 14" by 36" sections that go perpendicular to the floor joists. so i want to remove that , seal it up and sheet rock over it. But, i think i need to make for the air space i am removing. can i just extend the trunk down(hvac3 pic) the joist cavity about 40" to make up the lost space?????

any ideas/tips would be appreciated. i am not an hvac person.

beenthere 11-29-2010 05:47 PM

Thats a jumper duct. It is helping the air from the one joist space get to the other joist space. So you need it. Would moving it back closer to the beam be possible.

rreale 11-29-2010 08:15 PM

so its called a "jumper duct", never used that term in my 50 years. So, moving it back, would help, but only a little, I could move it back about 10 inches. It "appears" that my HVAC guy used the jumper duct because he couldn't connect to the main return trunk, because there is "solid blocking", located over the microlam beam, the other joist cavity is wide open to the main return. can i replace the solid blocking with some other type of support?

any other options??


beenthere 11-30-2010 04:30 AM

Need to check with your local code department if they allow the solid blocking to be removed and replaced with another form of blocking/support.

"Jumper", and "Transfer" are the 2 most common names that I know of for that duct.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1