Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Model#PG036100-1A Goodman gaspack won't light

My Goodman gaspack was checked out by a techician, He checked the Heat exchanger for holes/cracks. I was told by the tech that my curcuitboard was bad because he couldn't get proper voltage. but he wanted 500 bucks to replace the board, that included labor. I told him thanks but no thanks. I got the board at a local appliance parts store for $130.00 and replaced the board myself. swapped 1 wire at a time to make sure I put them in the right place. Energized my gaspack, and it still won't light. the inducer fan comes on, I hear two clicking noise, the igniter glows red/hot but the unit won't light............any suggestions

circuitboard part # is B18099-04

Impala63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

do you smell gas after the ignitor glows make sure gas cock (heh heh he said cock) is on and also valve is on

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala63 View Post
My Goodman gaspack was checked out by a techician, He checked the Heat exchanger for holes/cracks. I was told by the tech that my curcuitboard was bad because he couldn't get proper voltage. but he wanted 500 bucks to replace the board, that included labor. I told him thanks but no thanks. I got the board at a local appliance parts store for $130.00 and replaced the board myself. swapped 1 wire at a time to make sure I put them in the right place. Energized my gaspack, and it still won't light. the inducer fan comes on, I hear two clicking noise, the igniter glows red/hot but the unit won't light............any suggestions

circuitboard part # is B18099-04
Suggestion? Yeah .....pay the hvac guy. You obviously missed what the guy said.

Bur I gotta say this isn't like all the other posts we get. As a pro I have no problem helping a guy try to find the reason for a furnace failure before he calls a guy out, but you screwed him.

He did the diagnostic and you figured you'd get over and you come here looking for help when you could not fix it. You stole from that tech is what you did.

If I think I am being scammed on a repair by a customer I will hold something back just to make sure I am not being played.

So i think either the guy smelled a rat or you installed the board wrong.

If any of you other pros who work for a living agree with me you won't help this guy.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Sorry Hvaclover I don't really agree with what you are saying ! If the OP payed the tech for the diagnosis then he is not really screwing the tech.
Did the tech make the right diagnosis? Maybe/maybe not. Did the OP replace the board right and with the right part? Maybe/maybe not.

Would the tech had put the guys old board back in if the new one did not fix the problem? (I would hope so). Would he still charge the guy?

Until we know what was wrong with the furnace (and I don't) we don't know if the tech was right or wrong with his diagnosis.

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
G71
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Truth is, if the tech was allowed to fix it, he'd have heat.
G71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by G71 View Post
Truth is, if the tech was allowed to fix it, he'd have heat.
Probably but would have the board fixed it?

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

You may have installed the board correctly, or you may not have.

If you had paid the tech, and it wasn't the board, he would have checked more things out.

Now, if you call him back you have to pay another diagnostic fee.

Need meters to test individual parts to find which one is bad. Or where the problem is originating from.

Or, you end up changing lots of parts until you stumble across the correct one.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
G71
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_602z View Post
Probably but would have the board fixed it?

Gary
Not sure, I wasn't there, he said the tech. told him he couldn't get the right voltage out of the board, did the h.o. check voltage after he replaced the board?
G71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #9

thanks for all the positive answers, and no I do not smell gas, so I'll check the gas cock. and to the folks who feel its ok to over charge a customer 3 times the actually amount for a part........ well go figure
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #10

where is the gas cock on my gaspack ?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_602z View Post
Sorry Hvaclover I don't really agree with what you are saying ! If the OP payed the tech for the diagnosis then he is not really screwing the tech.
Did the tech make the right diagnosis? Maybe/maybe not. Did the OP replace the board right and with the right part? Maybe/maybe not.

Would the tech had put the guys old board back in if the new one did not fix the problem? (I would hope so). Would he still charge the guy?

Until we know what was wrong with the furnace (and I don't) we don't know if the tech was right or wrong with his diagnosis.

Gary
Yeah but are you a professional tech or someone who just dabbles? Man got what he deserved. The diagnostic fee is to cover the truck and over head associated with SHOWING UP, it's not a lesson in hvac.

I read your posts and i don't think HVAC is your lively hood so I would expect you to say what you did.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:
thanks for all the positive answers, and no I do not smell gas, so I'll check the gas cock. and to the folks who feel its ok to over charge a customer 3 times the actually amount for a part........ well go figure

Ain't no "go figuring to do". HVAC pros are in business to make a profit. If we wanted to work for hourly wages we would work for somebody else.

That board was the right price despite what you think is right
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #13

HAVCLOVER SAID
I read your posts and i don't think HVAC is your lively hood so I would expect you to say what you did.
I don't think this site was designed to bash or express what folks think about each other, but to help folks solve problems without spending a bunch of money. and to answer your question HVACLOVER, no Im not a hvac professional. but I do know when something just don't sound right. they tech went from replacing the circuit board to, well if thats not it we'll replace something else. thats why I lost confidence in the tech. and would not reccomend him to a friend, he also wanted to charge me for a capacitor(A/C). that he said he could tell it was bad by looking at it. he quoted me a price of $125.00 for the part, I found out yesterday when i went to get the board, it is only $16.45, every hvac tech I have spoken to since the first tech said the same thing, ( the guy must be hungry) and he's not private but works for a local company
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #14

Just slow, not stupid
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Quote:
We make our living on mark up.
And provide a warranty, that means you don't pay for the part to be changed again, if it goes out again under warranty.

You may have had a less then stellar tech come out.

Ask that appliance store what they would charge to come out and install that board for you, and how long their no charge warranty is.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote