Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Mobile home, hot, lots of condensation, medical risk

Hi,

We bought our mobile home last year about Aug and the a/c was having issues but after replacing the thermostat seemed fine but this was at thetail end of summer. This year it seems the only way the inside temp stays under 80 is if at night or its raining. Right now we are having a storm and it is 77F with the a/c on and set at 75F during normal summer weather it is around 95-100F with high humidity (been alot of high heat lately) on those days the inside temp is around 85-88 i cannot figure out any thing to do. I even tried using a small (5000btu) window unit to help but all that is going to do is make my electric bill even higher. The under house behind the skirting seems cooler but i used my camera in the vents (1 main line with 8 vents i think) and saw no sign of blockage or leaking (cool air blows out of the vents hard) The thing i have noticed that concerned me is it seems to pull alot of water off the A coil and the drip pan is usually full while filling as fast as it drains (looking under the home you can see alot of water from the drain) but even with all that moisture being removed the home is still hot. A friend says that it don't appear to be low on freon or have leaks, i considered swapping out all my curtains but if the moisture is the issue i don't see that making a big change. I considered trying a de-humidifier but i read somewhere that you should not use one while using a/c....or maybe it was a humidifier i am not sure. I am very heat sensitive due to medical reasons and i am prone to heat exahustion (twice this summer so far) I also have a wife and 6 yr old as well as pets, my Chinchillas are heat sensitive and could die in high heat. Does anyone have any thoughts or tips that may help? I need to get the house cooler so my a/c may shut off atleast some times so i can save energy costs.

The a/c is a Coleman Evcon , the two model numbers i have found are eb12b (found near blower at bottom of unit) and ct3836-u155 (found near A-coil)

filter is clean, vents look clear, air blowing hard, lots of condensation, house rarely under 80 (when set at 70-75)

I will bookmark this thread so I can check back often.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Mahlachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

out on the condenser grab the small diameter raw copper line just out of the condenser it should be warm if that with a real warm day...is the return clear of items in the mobile ner the air handler....ac when it runs dehumidifiies thats the water your banging out of the ac drain off the air handler..lets hear back...worst is shut the condenser off and hose it from inside out especially 5" up from the base...please don't blast it fins might bend

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
out on the condenser grab the small diameter raw copper line just out of the condenser it should be warm if that with a real warm day...is the return clear of items in the mobile ner the air handler....ac when it runs dehumidifiies thats the water your banging out of the ac drain off the air handler..lets hear back...worst is shut the condenser off and hose it from inside out especially 5" up from the base...please don't blast it fins might bend

I hosed inside to out already about a week ago no change from that

small line is warm but not hot nor cold i'd say around body temp since u almost feel no temp difference

Big line is cold

I noticed under the house that i cannot see the drain line but i can see the water should i try switching the drain hose with on that is longer so it doesn't wet the insulation?

Running to store soon, Going to change all curtains to thicker lighter color ones and if i can figure out how i may addsome sort of a metallic to reflect the sunlight (i would use foil but subdivision mgr would complain) maybe there is a spray metallic i can use or light color metallic or metallic clear coat paint. also if i can find one i may switch the drain line

i will check back in a few before i leave for the store to check for replies.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

What is the cold air temperature from the vent ? and the room temperature at that time ? (delta T)
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Are both the indoor and outdoor coils clean? Does your system draw in outside air.

Your home may be loose, and allowing a lot of fresh air to come in, which makes the A/C work harder, and longer.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocert View Post
What is the cold air temperature from the vent ? and the room temperature at that time ? (delta T)

unsure, I will grab a thermometer at store in a few.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

if that line is almost body temp to the touch in the hot hot days your condenser is mint that insulated like a cold beer mint...is there any sun swinging on the walls or floor it will add to the load just keep it off the sills whats that a 7' ceiling in a trailer if the sun is banging the roof od the mobile that could add to the load ...how's the nights or at dusk
Old 07-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

right now its about 75 in the house with clouds outside very little sun....good fishing weather IMO lol. But yea the coils outside are clean then inside ones seems a lil dirty but not sure how to clean that being inside. House is in full sun with no trees, the southern side gets most the light and the windows are hot to the touch on a hot sunny day. I have energy curtains on that side but not much help IMO. I am looking into replacing the curtains and to do it cheaply i am thinking of using light colored (light tan maybe) fabric by the yard, the kind i found is about light kahki color and about the same material type too. When i was at the store i grabbed a thermometer but did not think to check the temp range so that did not work due to the range of temp it would read. Is there any paint on or spray on window film kinda thing? Like a clear coat pain with metallic? i think that would help alot since it seems most our heat comes from the back side of the home, about 4 normal size windows and 2 smaller ones.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

if any interior wall on the home gets hot from direct sun it will be added to the load inside... making the system seem like it isn't working
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #10

Going to run to store and see if i can find a UV blocking film.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
REP

That is not going to stop the heat,its only going to slow down the fading of the rug and furniture.
While you are out stop by a paint store and discuss what you might use on your roof.I believe there are materials that can help a little and every little helps.Stop at the RV store and discuss your problem as its an age old one for mobil homes and they might have some good suggestions.
You have already gotten the best that you can get on this site,that beibng making sure your return grilles are not blocked in any way and having the indoor and outdorr coils clean.By the way if your drain is draining on the insulation,that should be fixed.Wet insulation=no insulation.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote