Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Mobile Home Furnace problem

Hello all! I am truly hoping that someone can help me. I'm a single mom and know very little about these things.
My furnace has been making loud rattling sounds when the fan blows and I have concluded that it is off balance and the fan wheel is scaping the housing. My friend is coming to look at it tonight (he thinks that he can fix this).
In an effort to help correct the problem, I cleaned the fan completely last night. Once I put it back together, it wouldn't start. I learned that I disconnected a little green wire on the side that once reconnected it worked fine. Still noisy and scrapping, but fine.
When I went home at lunch, I turned the heat up a little bit and noticed that the fan won't spin. The flame increases as it should, there is heat (the whole unit is warm) going up to the fan, but the fan is not spinning and blowing it out or into the vents.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm hoping to get some direction before I go home and start tinkering with it again.
Also, at some point during my cleaning last night, the pilot went out. I ended up having to get my neighbor to help me re-light it because It just wouldn't work for me. Also, the top screw that holds the center in the fan unit (sorry I don't know what these parts are called) was worn very badly and a new screw wouldn't hold because the hole was so messed up. We drilled a small new how about 1/4 inch away from the original and put a new screw in to hold it tight. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem now, but thought I'd mention it. I turned the termostat to off when I left and am hoping that it'll work tonight.

jbenn003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Mobile Home Furnace problem

Could be another wire was knocked loose.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote