Mistbox - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,398

Mistbox

So I see and ad on the internet for something called a "Mistbox". It's a contraption that blows a fine mist of water in front of the evap coils on you central A/C unit. Having worked on industrial cooling units and knowing how cooling towers work. The process seems simple enough, cool down the ambient air temp before the air enters the evap and the evap will cool down quicker. So I looked over the internet for info on this and found plenty. Enough info that I called a local HVAC company that was listed on the Mistbox site and asked about this product. With a few questions answered the guy told me that for $640.00 they would come out and install one. When I asked how many had the installed in this area and were they working as advertised he told me that they were just getting into these and there were only a couple of these in my are in use. Further searching and I find that I can order one of these kits for $400 and install it myself, which I can do. Has anyone out there heard about these units or have personal knowledge of the Mistbox?

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 907

Re: Mistbox

I don't get it. Its sprays water into the return air duct?? Or do you mean the condenser coil?

Advertisement

Last edited by Bitters; 06-09-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added
Bitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,864

Spray water in your return=elevated indoor humidity
Spray water on your condenser=coil becomes covered in calcium and other deposits and needs replacement
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

I've seen the sprays for the condenser. Sure it works for a year. Then start separating the aluminum from the copper..... And as roughneck said, there's the mineral deposits. (no filter will be 100% effective at removing desolved components.)

Personal option: These are a waste of money. You'll have to replace your condenser in just a few years. Maybe 1 or 2 years more more if in the perfect conditions.

PS. Half of this world is in a drought situation. This includes a significant portion of the US. Why would anyone think that using more water to save a watt is a good idea. (this is a once through waste system. It's not even collecting the water that wasn't evaporated like cooling towers do)

Cheers!

Last edited by supers05; 06-09-2016 at 10:23 PM.
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:28 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 6,672

Hmmm. 400 bucks for the mister. Plus the cost of the water it uses, and sewage charge if you don't have a separate water meter for it. I see little to no payback in its use. And the only benefit would be on a system that struggles to cool the house on the hottest days.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,398

O.K., the condenser. The Mistbox sprays water out into the atmosphere close to the condenser which cools the ambient air temp before the air goes through the condenser. I understand that there would be some scale build-up on the condenser fins with this type situation. As far as water usage I pay a flat rate for water per month. I live out in the county but we have to use City water and it's on a flat rate scale no matter how much I use. We used to have our own wells but the City got the State to condemn them for health reasons then the City ran water lines out to us and we had to go on City water. There were never and water analysis reports shown to prove we had bad water, just the City stating that it was for health reasons. No Mistbox for me now that I know more.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote