Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Share |

Miss Kim's Compressor Changeout.

The run terminal at the old compressor completely broke off and pulled out of the compressor and stuck into the wiring harness. Coincidentally, the compressor would not run. As you can see the entire plug and the terminals were well past weathered and the one terminal is missing at the compressor.

Newly wrapped with 1" thick 7/8" id Armor Flex. The old insulation was sun dried, thin and had holes all throughout it, exposing the vapor to the heat and we had a heat index of 103 F today! Plus a new LL drier.

The final photo of the unit back together, looking pretty and running for some reason is not posting. Sorry Miss Kim, but you know what it looks like, and feels like in your place.

WARNING: NEXT PHOTO NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!! I'll scroll down a bit before I post, it is a booboo attained at this job.

Stupid aluminum condensing coil fins.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 07-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

What a drag! have to change the compressor just because the connector

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Yup, it happens. The original wiring harness was not all the way pushed in so water easily crept into it.

Worst part of the day was her pit bull that charged me in the back yard. I thought he was put away in the garage so I went about lolligagging into his territory through the side gate on the other side of the home. I was almost half way into that yard and he comes barrelling at me from the condenser side of the house. I swear I had to change my pants.

Had the home owner's daughter not tackled the dog en route, I'd have plenty of stitches right now.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

not sure what the old unit was, but you can't beat a copeland scroll.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NitroNate For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

I don't like pit bull. I have 900000v taser just for this.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

I use these really flexible/good feel and dexterity cut resistant gloves a lot. Keep a pair in my bag with invoices. Not as thick as the Mechanix so you can feel bolts etc really well. Company buys them for me and all our sheet metal guys. Water and oil proof palms.

Terminator glove
http://www.banom.com/
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
I don't like pit bull. I have 900000v taser just for this.

I'm a dog guy and although I have known quite a few big old loveable, overly friendly big babies that were pits that I've enjoyed spending time with and never once felt threatened, overall I'm not too fond of them either. Unfortunelately it is in their blood. I think that the loveable ones, to strangers is what I mean as I'm sure they're all loveable to their respective owners, have been born further down the line from their fighting roots. Plus they are very, very protective dogs. They will not think twice about laying their lives on the line, dying protecting their owners, and highly territorial.

This was the third time I went to this house for this comrpessor change out. Over the weekend the scheduling got messed up. I went to the house and thought I was going to go into the back yard and just do the job but then this pit bull tried to eat right through the glass to get to me when I knocked at the front door. No way was I going to venture further, deeper into his territory with only a 1/8" thick single pane window between us.

Uh uh, no way. I rescheduled until I knew he could be put away where he couldn't see me and even then it amost ended with my tragedy.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I use these really flexible/good feel and dexterity cut resistant gloves a lot. Keep a pair in my bag with invoices. Not as thick as the Mechanix so you can feel bolts etc really well. Company buys them for me and all our sheet metal guys. Water and oil proof palms.

Terminator glove
http://www.banom.com/
This was one of those tiny cuts that you dont even realize you're bleeding until you smear it onto a tool or it drips and you see it. I hadn't the faintest idea until about a minute after.

Thanks Yuri, I'll have to try those.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

my sheet metal guys really like them as they are thin enough to have good feel and dexterity which is really important for them. under HEAVY use they last quite awhile as those guys are rough with them. once you get used to having them and not cutting yourself you wonder how you lived w/o them.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
REP

So just out of plain interest,what did the acid test kit show???
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
So just out of plain interest,what did the acid test kit show???
No acid test. This was not a burn out or a short, this was a case of electricity not making it to the compressor. I closed the service valves to the old compressor off, recovered the refrigerant, removed the shreaders, shot it with nitrogen to 25 psia and let it sit there for ten minutes. Dumped the nitrogen, replaced drier and compressor, opened service valves, shot it full of nitrogen to 200 psia as a pressure test and cleaning and let it sit for fifteen minutes.
Dumped nitrogen via open shraeders on both sides (removal of shraeders allow any possible trash to discard itself), installed shraeders back in, vacuumed to 448 microns, filled the unit with liquid while in the off position through the high side as much as it could take, cranked her on and vapor charged her the rest of the way with new 22. I'm not going to use old refrigerant on a new compressor.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 07-25-2011 at 09:58 PM.