Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

mini-split clearance in front

Looking at getting a mini-split system for the ranch house. I am concerned about theft and want to install security bars around the outside unit. Only problem is that the installation instructions require 79 inches of clearance in front. Is this for air-flow or maintenance access? If it is for maintenance access I suppose I could tell the inspector that I installed a security bar gate that allows for access to the unit. The security bars are spaced 6 inches apart and let lots of air through. I can't see how air flow could be an issue with the security bars.

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Its for air flow. 6" apart should be fine.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

It is for maintenance only. You need about 3 feet clearance in front to get enough airflow thru. Try not have high shrubs within the 3-5 feet so the heat does not hit them and recirculate back into the intake and make it work a LOT harder and shorten it's life and use more juice. If the bars are removable he should not have an issue if you are there to explain them to him.

Last edited by yuri; 12-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If you have a local Metal fabricating shop, have them make something Ornate that will still protect the unit, but is not just a set of straight bars in front of the unit. What is the roof like for the building, or can you place it up high on the wall, that makes it difficult for someone to reach from the ground.

Keep in mind when you place the bars, that you are going to have to either use bolts in cement to hold them in place, or have enough length on the ends, to allow you to place the unit for the guard cage in concrete.

They do also make alarm sensors that you can attach to the units, to notify you when someone is messing around with it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote