Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

Share |
Miller mobile home oil furnace

My furnace is being overworked and I need to upgrade the burner and fan.there was an addition added to my home and the former owners tapped 3 6" flexible duct lines off of the existing shotgun duct work.. 2 of the 3 lines are approx. 2 feet from the furnace..my entire home is always cool and my furnace cycles every 10-15minutes. Burner is very loud and fan is only putting out approx. 75% flow at the end of the run. Can I update the burner and fan to help?..my furnace is a model moc100-1.

Last edited by Msp1953; 02-01-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Msp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

No. The furnace is designed for a certain size of fire and nozzle and BTU output. You cannot increase the size of fire or fumes will spill out and it will be overheated. Sorry. Need a larger furnace and proper ductwork or baseboard heaters in the addition.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

Shutting off due to thermostat reaching set point isn't over worked. Furnace doesn't shut off when it's real cold out and it cant satisfy the thermostat is over worked. Does the thermostat reach the set point or not?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

As Marty siad. A cycling furnace is not over worked.

And the air flow problem is not a problem of the blower. Its your duct work. Fix the duct work. And it will work much better.

A larger blower would probably be too loud and keep you awake at night.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #5

Thermostat does reach set point. My furnace is approx 20 yrs old and it was set up for a 900 sq ft house. With the addition, it is trying to heat about 1400 sq ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Shutting off due to thermostat reaching set point isn't over worked. Furnace doesn't shut off when it's real cold out and it cant satisfy the thermostat is over worked. Does the thermostat reach the set point or not?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

You have added 50% more area to heat so you need a larger furnace AND larger ducts.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
You have added 50% more area to heat so you need a larger furnace AND larger ducts.
Maybe, maybe not. Could have a 100,000 in that house and only need a 50K for all we know. Could be cold in the house because the heat is set way below a comfortable level in an attempt to save money. No mention of any returns in the addition. Last time the unit was serviced?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Thats the trouble with the internet. We cannot "see" what the house etc looks like. Like my apprentices asking me if what they see is a cracked heat exchanger. How the heck can I see thru the phone? LOL
Have you had any experience with/sold the Lennox whole home de-humidifiers? We get excess humidity problems up here when we go to high efficiency units and cap off the chimney. Going to start selling them soon.

Last edited by yuri; 02-02-2010 at 06:14 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #9

Had one customer asking about it untill they heard the price. Gas company is running around changing "broken" meters on most of the xp19 and G71 combos. Got to be bad cause the gas usage is way too low.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Thats just breakin my heart. They usually add a meter/line "maintenance" surcharge when times get tough.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #11

Furnace is an 80,000 and it is well over 20 ys old. Unit serviced last month..Temp set at 69 degrees. Just feel old girl is being asked too much..
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Could have a 100,000 in that house and only need a 50K for all we know. Could be cold in the house because the heat is set way below a comfortable level in an attempt to save money. No mention of any returns in the addition. Last time the unit was serviced?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #12

Being looked at this week...no smell in the house...burning Kerosene..
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Thats the trouble with the internet. We cannot "see" what the house etc looks like. Like my apprentices asking me if what they see is a cracked heat exchanger. How the heck can I see thru the phone? LOL
Have you had any experience with/sold the Lennox whole home de-humidifiers? We get excess humidity problems up here when we go to high efficiency units and cap off the chimney. Going to start selling them soon.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #13

My wife would threaten bodily harm if I set the thermostat at 69 LOL. Seriously anything below 72 and she's wearing a sweatshirt, stocking cap and has a beaver blanket on her . Turn the heat up and make yourself comfortable.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #14

Smile

My wife would hand me my head if that temp goes above 69...I will sneak the temp up when she isn't looking
Quote:
My wife would threaten bodily harm if I set the thermostat at 69 LOL. Seriously anything below 72 and she's wearing a sweatshirt, stocking cap and has a beaver blanket on her . Turn the heat up and make yourself comfortable.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

The only way to know the size you need is to do a heat loss/load calculation:Load Calculator
and get some professional advice from 3 local companies about duct sizing and furnace size. The new furnaces are more energy efficient/have better burners. Not sure how long Millers last but my experience with mobile home units is that they are not as heavy duty as the average house type and are not expected to last as long.