Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

miller mobile home furnace wont keep running

hello im in need of some advice and comments on my furnace. an old miller mobile home oil furnace, replaced nozzle and filter at tank and it will start up then run its cycle but then wont restart after burner shuts off and the fan finishes. i have to reset the ignition switch to get it to run again. is this needing replacement and is it very expensive?? i live in nw wisconsin and typical winter teens during the day and below zero at night. in a bad emergency and all repairmen are booked for two days at least. any suggestions on what i can do to get by until proper repairs? can i repair myself and is it safe to keep reseting to keep heat in till i find temperary heating so not to freeze pipes or the home?? any remarks and comments would greatly be helpful thank you jb9270 in wisconsin.
jb9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi jb9270

It sounds like you have a bad cad cell. Shut the power off to the furnace. On top of the burner assembly will be a black box. In the front of the black box will be two 5/16" screws, loosen the screws and turn the little metal pieces to the side. Grab the front of the coil and carefully lift it up, it will be on a hinge. Hinge it all the way as far as it will go, you will see two brass fingers or a couple of springs. Between the fingers or springs what ever you have will be a black round thing about the size of a dime. This is the cad cell, Firmly pull it out of the socket, replace it with the exact one. You can get them at Johnstone supply usually over the counter.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice was extremely helpful and it got my furnace back to working. its old but still trustworthy as can still work on it easy. cant get a cad cell until the end of the week so i cleaned it and made sure it was able to see the flame and now it is working. am still going to replace it better to be safe than get stuck again. thank you again your help was very rewarding and appreciated. am going to tell everyone i know to check out this site very informitive and helpful.
signed,
jerri aka jb9270 from nw wisconsin
jb9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #4

Way to go, Rusty
oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi jb9270

I like hearing good news. Just one more piece of the equation for you. Oil furnaces need to be serviced every year to clean the heat exchangers and flue tubes of ash. If you have not had this done for a while, please have it done at the end of the heating season or before the next. It will keep your furnace running great and will alert you to any potential problems.

Good luck
Rusty