Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

Miller G5RA furnace flame sensor problem

Hi,
I am in my 11th heating season with the above mentioned furnace. It is located in a studio space over our detached garage. Every winter there will be 2 or 3 occassions where I go over to the studio to find that the furnace has stopped running sometime within the past couple of days.

The first time I called in a HVAC guy and found out that the flame sensor was slightly dirty. Once cleaned, the furnace ran fine. Since then I have been taking care of this problem myself...however, I feel this is kinda B.S. To explain, this is the 4th furnace we have had over the years and it is the only one to have this problem. I could understand cleaning the flame sensor once at the beginning of the heating season, but having to do this 2-3 times a season doesn't make sense to me.

Recently I contacted Nordyne about this issue. Their response was basically that this flame sensor problem is common and I should continue to live with it. I pushed them a little further and their only other suggestion was to Google "flame sensor issues"...so, here I am.

I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions/thoughts on this issue. (The HVAC guy did suggest that the board the flame sensor is attached to was "too sensitive" and that "Miller would never admit it". Blowing smoke?)

Thanks!

mpit52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Where does the combustion air come from.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #3

Check your furnace grounding. A weak ground will cause flame sensing problems.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #4

Furnace is behind a knee wall lying horizontally. The garage is 32 ft deep and the furnace space is open that entire length with perforated soffit providing air. In addition, the cold air return from the studio is approximately 12 ft away, across the room, and measures 16"x20".
mpit52 is offline   Reply With Quote