DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

might need another air return?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  darobi2459 
#1 ·
I have been having trouble with my AC not being cold and not very much air blowing out. I live in a typical bi-level that they through up back in 60's. I have had checks, and duct cleaning, and the tech says everything is fine, but when the outside temp is above 80 it will run non stop all day and not get the temp down below 75.

I only have 2 returns, one in the basement next to the furnace, and one right above it on the floor in the hall. Both returns are good size, but it seems the fan is pulling hard. My house is about 1800 Sqft and I have a Bryant plus 80 if that tells ya anything.

I am not familiar with HVAC systems, so I am not sure what other info is needed to help. Thanks, Dave

#2 ·
Dave,
Can you give us the model number off of the outdoor unit? Then we will know what size system you have.
The model number of the furnace will tell us what size blower you have.
Does the 1800 sqft include the basement?
How many supply registers are there?
Do you have a digital thermometer that you can take some measurements with?

#3 ·
Hi sorry I haven't got back sooner. The model number of the outside unit is 593CJ024-B

The furnace number is 395CAV042091

I do have an inferred thermometer.

the square footage does include the finished basement, its a bi-level with half of the downstairs underground. Nice and cool in the summer and cold in the winter. The upstairs is hot!

There are two returns, a 6 x 24 in the downstairs, and a 12 x 24 in the upstairs. I have 11 vents.

I noticed the thick cold tube's insulation covering was pretty rotten and inside the unit it wasn't covered. so I put a new one on. Didnt seem to help any though.

Thanks for the help here, I really appreciate it:no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.