Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

I did search and read on this forum that Metal duct is better than flex foil, but I am confused why my local professionals(through servicemagic) are recommending flexfoil instead of metal ducts.

We recently bought a house built in 1983 and the duct work in attic seems to be falling apart, I had to tie the insulation which was falling apart with twine. I need to fix my ducts before summer and to do that I contacted 3 professionals in DFW area and all of them recommended and quoted for flexfoil when I asked about metal duct they seemed to resist the idea.

Can anybody here shed some light on why metal duct is not being recommended in DFW area? or is it just that I am contacting wrong people. I am new to this forum, can I post in this forum so that professionals on here can give me quote for new ductwork?.

I have a baby coming in next few weeks so I need to fix my duct/attic before summer any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

rchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

It's easier for them to install the flex duct. I would say use the metal. A cat got into my basement and shredded my flex duct.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

if its in your attic, it should be insulated flex duct work, not flexfoil. If it were run in rigid duct work then it would have to be insulated as well, but would cost you a lot more!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #4

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

Some of them did say the insulation would be R8 around the flex duct.

Is it ok to ask professionals of this forum in DFW area to contact me?. I read the forum rules but they didn't mention anything about homeowners asking for professional work done.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

Metal duct is better because the ribbed inside of Flex duct which has a higher friction rate and increses static pressure. Generally, the duct airflow charts will call for 1 size bigger in flex, and yes it should be good flex duct. Rigid duct is very laborious, sections are each 3-5' each has to be fitted together, airsealed,etc. Then it must be wrapped in a good R rated wrap. A lot of long, hot dirty work...get a quote both ways.
Poppyloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #6

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

This is how my attic insulation looks. by the way can somebody guess what those plastic exhaust to outside are in the second picture?.

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

Looks like 2 plumbing vent stacks and a metal drier vent. Insulated flex is what you have now so if it's replaced with the same size then the air flow will be the same. Insulated metal duct is better IMO but most people do not want to pay the price difference between it and stringing insulated flex. Wrapped pipe could easily be double the cost.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
HVAC / Plumbing

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

Bad for the home owner. Builders only pay for the cheapest jobs.Not quality jobs. You need all that re- done. Someone will install everything the correct way. You will just have to pay $$ to get it done the correct way
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #9

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

The home is about 28 years old, I guess duct work has seen better days, I just hope new duct work, insulation upgrades will have good return of investment. right now energy bill is ridiculous, I am afraid because of his bad duct work and insulation the a/c unit will give in soon and I will end up paying for a new one.

Last edited by rchuk; 02-28-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
HVAC Supermodel

Metal or FlexFoil Duct

Damn, those little "distribution boxes" are horrible. Typically I give a quote for rigid and flexible ducting as I want my customers to have the option for an optimal duct system (rigid pipe). 19 out of 20 times they choose flexible duct because its usually costs about half the price of rigid ducting. The fact that the contractors you talked to would not give you a quote for rigid when you asked would make me steer clear of them.

unicursalhex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duct, flex, flexfoil, foil, metal