Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

Master Bedroom very warm

My home is three years old and ever since we moved in we have felt that the Master BR is unusually warmer than the other rooms of the home. We have a separate HVAC zone for the upstairs floor which has 4 bedrooms and a laundry room.

With the change from summer to fall I paid a bit more attention and am very perplexed by the situation. It has been about 55-65 degrees outside for the past few weeks. When we turn off the air conditioning our Master bedroom will be between 75-78 degrees (measured by the thermostat that is located in the Master and also separate thermometers we purchased. Other rooms at the same time have been measuring between 65-67. Some mornings if the Master is 73 to 74 (again without any air on) my daughter's room will get as low as 62 or 63.

I really can't understand what is going on here. Walking out of the master br you can feel the cooler temperature once you get into the hallway. The master bedroom is on the southeast side of the house. The differences of 10-12 degrees seem to happen when the temperature outside is in the 60s. When it is much warmer or much cooler out and we run the heat or ac the rooms are more like 5-7 degrees different.

Does anybody have any ideas and who we can talk to about trying to get the temperatures a little more in line? Thanks.

ks-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #2

Master Bedroom very warm

Do you have a return air register in the master bedroom or is the door open most of the time?

Can you adjust louvers in the various registers so less air comes out into other rooms and more cool air comes out in to the master bedroom?

Is the ceiling/attic insulation for the master bedroom adequate?

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-05-2011 at 11:52 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Master Bedroom very warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Do you have a return air register in the master bedroom or is the door open most of the time?

Can you adjust louvers in the various registers so less air comes out into other rooms and more cool air comes out in to the master bedroom?

Is the ceiling/attic insulation for the master bedroom adequate?
Yes we have a return air register in the master and I'd also say that the door is open most of the time. We can adjust the air going to different areas of the upstairs in the attic (which is how we've been trying to deal with the issue with only moderate success).

At this point though I'm wondering why there is such a discrepancy even when the air (heat, ac or fan) is turned off.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Master Bedroom very warm

You said you have laundry room on the same floor as Master bed is on? were is the dryer in relation to the master bedroom do you have the dryer on when you notice the room wormer then it should be.

Or this could be a duck work issue between the 1st and second floor
Have some one in the hvac field come with a register meeter test the registers
Do you have a bath room in your master bath is there a register in there as well? if so that's double wammie.

HP Properties Capital Projects
Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
30 year tech

Master Bedroom very warm

Is the master per chance over a garage or unconditioned space? Sounds like a insulation problem to me. If you can find someone with a infrared camera you may find where you are losing air. Some utility companies do this or check some hvac shops to see if they have one.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

Master Bedroom very warm

There is a master bathroom off the bedroom but there isn't a return in there. The master is over the kitchen but this temperature difference stays constant regardless of the time of day and even if we were away for three days and come back (the house having been empty and unused).

I'm going to call the HVAC company that did the house when it was built (I still use them for maintenance). I have a few questions though so I at least have an idea what I'm talking about.

People have mentioned both possibly poor duct work between the first and second floor and also that it could be an insulation problem. There were also questions about air returns. How could this be a duct/HVAC issue if the temperature differential occurs even when the HVAC system is off? Wouldn't that mean that there is a temperature difference regardless of air flow, duct work etc? Why do air returns matter? The fact that there is one in the master bedroom, does that imply that the cool air is leaving the room through the return? As to an insulation problem, the fact that it is warmer in the room than the outside air, would that mean that the room is over-insulated? If I go into the attic I don't notice a difference between the insulation over the master bedroom as compared to other rooms. Would that mean it is possibly over-insulated in the walls?

I really appreciate all the help. I am a complete newbie when it comes to something like this and I've asked a few questions over the past year or two but there hasn't been any real solution to it. We are trying to adjust the airflow to compensate for the problem but it is very difficult to blast the AC when it is 58 degrees at night (b/c my master is at 77). I have a newborn that sleeps in our room so we don't want it to be too warm, but I also don't want my daughter to freeze as it gets to 62-63 in her room.

So I will be calling the HVAC company soon but I want to be prepared to ask the right questions and be prepared for the responses that may come back.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Master Bedroom very warm

Is the exterior of your house the same all the way around? What is it made of? Brick? Vinyl siding?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
30 year tech

Master Bedroom very warm

I would say it is a thermal problem since it has a temperature difference when your not even using the system.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Master Bedroom very warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac122 View Post
I would say it is a thermal problem since it has a temperature difference when your not even using the system.
Could you elaborate on what that means and who I would speak to about rectifying it?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
30 year tech

Master Bedroom very warm

What I was trying to say is that you must be picking up heat from somewhere. Either your kitchen is overly warm or there is either something uninsulated or a breach in existing insulation. I would start with having a blower door test and infrared camera test to try to find where the problem lies.

Try calling your electric and gas company to see if they can do the tests or direct you as to who can.

To get some ideas try to Google "stack effect for homes"
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #11

Master Bedroom very warm

Really sounds like an internal heat source. Do you have a large TV in the bedroom?
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #12

Master Bedroom very warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks View Post
Really sounds like an internal heat source. Do you have a large TV in the bedroom?
We have a 50" tv on the wall but the room is probably 400 sq. feet and we notice the temperature difference even if the TV has been turned off for more than 24 hours. I just don't really see the TV in Standby heating up the room by as much as 10 degrees vs. the hallway.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #13

Master Bedroom very warm

Its an internal heat source. If the system is fine while running and the room heats up beyond the t-stat setting when the unit is off, its an internal heat source. TV's put off a lot of heat.
Stick a thermometer above the TV and check the discharge temp.
If the house is well insulated it will only make the problem more apparent.
If it was a problem with your thermal envelope then the problem would remain when the unit was running. With outdoor temps in the 60's your house would defy the laws of physics if it heated up beyone the outdoor temps with no solar heat gain during the overnight.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #14

Master Bedroom very warm

I think hvac122 has you on the right path. His suggestion of thermal imaging & blower door would probably give you a definitive answer. I know we have several areas in our home where the conditioned wall is opposite attic space...this is sometimes called a "knee wall". You mentioned that it looks like it is insulated like everything else...do any of these walls have attic space on the opposite side? Did they use fiberglass to insulate the walls (if they border the attic) and if so, can you see the fiberglass batts?

Fiberglass batts allow air to pass through them, so if you can "see" them on the attic side (by looking at those walls in your attic), then they're not performing the way they should. They really need to be encapsulated at all sides (top, bottom, left, right, front and back) to be effective. The blower door and thermal imaging would REALLY make this obvious.

Even if there is not any attic space on the backs of those walls, you mentioned it is on the southeast corner of the house. What about solar gain? Is it particularly hot when the sun is out? Do you have several windows, or a lot of window area?
kmachn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #15

Master Bedroom very warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks View Post
Its an internal heat source. If the system is fine while running and the room heats up beyond the t-stat setting when the unit is off, its an internal heat source. TV's put off a lot of heat.
Stick a thermometer above the TV and check the discharge temp.
If the house is well insulated it will only make the problem more apparent.
If it was a problem with your thermal envelope then the problem would remain when the unit was running. With outdoor temps in the 60's your house would defy the laws of physics if it heated up beyone the outdoor temps with no solar heat gain during the overnight.
I really don't know what to say. Last night I got home and it was 52 degrees outside. I got home at 2:30am and my wife had gone to sleep at 10pm. She didn't watch TV last night. The thermostat read 77 and she was sweating and we were forced to turn on the AC and set it to 74. At 7am our room read 74 but when she went to my daughter's room the thermometer in there read 63.