Malfunctioning York Gas Furnace? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Malfunctioning York Gas Furnace?

My house was built in the early 1990s. I am the second owner and have been in the house for just over 4 years. I still have the original York gas furnace and central air systems. They are still running strong, but I plan on replacing them with newer, more efficient units in the spring when my budget will allow me to do so.

A few minutes after every full heating cycle, the furnace and blower will kick on for a very short period of time and then kick off. Seems like additional wear and tear on the furnace and blower. Is this normal?

Advertisement

Last edited by walds11; 12-07-2009 at 08:32 PM.
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

Yes. There is still heat left in the chamber and the fan control restarts the fan to blow it out/normal.

Advertisement

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #3

I can see the blower kicking in after a full heating cycle, but the furnace too? Or maybe it is just the blower? I was never in the basement to check it out. I just hear it in the house. Maybe not worry about it since I plan on replacing the systems next spring?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Did you change the filter to a more restrictive type (pleated)?

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #5

Yes. I don't buy those cheap filters that cost $.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
Did you change the filter to a more restrictive type (pleated)?

V
Old 12-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #6

The units are about 18 years and probably on their last legs. Well, that's what the HVAC tech guy said that last time he was here. Budget-wise, I can replace the units late Spring (next June), but I would like to get another summer out of the central AC and another winter out of the heater. Then again, I might as well look into the tax credit which expired after next year. We shall see. I spent a few hundred on repairs to the blower motor this past spring. The blower motor was making a weird noise when it slowed down. The tech had to pull it off and set it back on or something.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #7

Bump. Any ideas?

Here is what happens...

1. full heating cycle
2. about 2 minutes after the full heating cycle, the furnace and blower will kick on for about 15-20 seconds. It sounds and feels (hot air blows out of the vents) like the burner and fan kick on during that 15-20 second cycle. I'll have to go down in the basement to really check it out.

Bad? How is it fixed?

My HVAC systems are about 18-19 years old. Maybe no need to rush to replace the new systems even if I have to spend small amounts of money for mainatence and repair each year?
Old 12-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

walds,
it is better to chose a filter with the least resistance, large pore size or loosely woven, but still keep air filtered. an expensive HEPA filter will not filter better but worse. it will clog up in no time and you'll be pulling, not through the filter, but from around the edges (path of least resistance). and you won't be filtering at all. this is a huge misconception. great money making gig for filter producers to sell "upper end" HVAC unit destroyers. and your mechanic will probably love them as they'll give him lots of business.

buy/use the most loosely woven air filter that you feel will provide minimally acceptable filtration and change it very often. not the cheapest, the one recommended for your particular unit by the manufacturer.

ps. if you really need HEPA filtration, you'll need to match the strength of the unit used to pull air through it, and somehow figure out how to get a good fit between your filter and unit. the best practice would be to use step filtration. this would involve two pre-filters. this would increase the life of the HEPA filter but you'd still have to match the drag to the blower.
pps. if you find a replacement to get a tax credit and it involves removal off of the grid and has a payback in under 30 years (federal only. our locl gov't doesn't do anything), and you remember me asking, please let me know. i wonder what will be the cost of maintaining the new solar and geothermal and tankless waterheater units. i bet high if they break down.
rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

A. Stop using those restrictive air filters.
B. Did it do this last year before the blower was worked on?
C. Next time its near the end of a run cycle. Go down and watch it to see if the burner is really coming back on also.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #10

A. Ok
B. Yes
C. Hard to tell, but I think just the blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
A. Stop using those restrictive air filters.
B. Did it do this last year before the blower was worked on?
C. Next time its near the end of a run cycle. Go down and watch it to see if the burner is really coming back on also.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

If just the blower. Its probably residual heat.
This can be caused by a restrictive air filter.
Try a less restrictive one and see if it stops. Can also be caused by a dirty A/C coil.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote