Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

making an insulated box around air handler

OK so I am adding another R30 of insulation in my attic and I have a couple of questions. THe attic in unconditioned will have about R50 worth when I am done.

1. should I build an insulated box around my air handler

2. Should I leave the insulated flex pipe for the vents exposed or is it ok to cover with insulation.....

3. I also wrapped the heat pipes into the air handler with insulation due to extreme heat loss is this a good thing to do or no.

Thank you for your help....

stvktchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your air handler will need some maintenance at some point in time. And at some time it will need replacement, just like every other mechanical in your home. Keep that in mind when you think about closing it in. As for the vents you can cover them and insulating the pipes is always a good idea. This is a heat pump, correct? Under no circumstances should you cover or box in a gas fired appliance.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Even if its a heat pump the motor needs air and the condensate drains will be harder to service as ill the air handler itself, the line set is critical to be insulated the super heat it can absorb going through an attic is really high,
Say you have a 40F AC coil and 120F attic or more, the super heat allowed to the compressor is about 20 degrees F or a 60F line set at the compressor, and thats not optimal ! A cold wet suction line that sweats is what you need/want
removong moisture is the 1st thing an AC will do and then as it dries the air the temperature differential in 1 pass will be 20 degrees F or about 60F at the supply's with a 40F coil.

SUPERHEAT is any heat added above the evap temp
SUBCOOLING is any heat removed below the condensing temp

you want 10 degrees superheat about 1 ft after exiting the AC coil and no more than 20 to the compressor or risk overheating it.
Chimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvktchn View Post
OK so I am adding another R30 of insulation in my attic and I have a couple of questions. THe attic in unconditioned will have about R50 worth when I am done.

1. should I build an insulated box around my air handler

Just put insulation on the air handler itself, leaving access to the screws to remove the panels for future service.

2. Should I leave the insulated flex pipe for the vents exposed or is it ok to cover with insulation.....

If your in a humid area, the flex could sweat and cause mold.

3. I also wrapped the heat pipes into the air handler with insulation due to extreme heat loss is this a good thing to do or no.

It did no harm, and may have helped some.

Thank you for your help....
See answers in quote.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

shouldnt the motor get all the air it needs to run through the intake as it is all inside the machine?

It is not gas there is no ignition of anything inside it is hydronic, my boiler is in the basement.

The compressor is outside and has worked fine so no worry about the change with that. I guess my concern is the efficiency at the air handler and should i worry about making the box around it
stvktchn is offline   Reply With Quote