Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Making a giant stove

Hopefully this isn't OT, I figured since it involved natural gas it would be plumbing related.

Basically, I want to build a giant, natural gas stove for really cheap.

My plan is to take a gas line I'm not using and connect three T's to it. Off each T I'll put a shutoff valve, as well as a main shutoff valve for the unit.

Then, I'll connect three of these burners: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-TIP-PROPA...item43a7aa2da6

Couple questions:

- is there any way to make sure a somewhat-equal amount of gas comes out each burner?
- is there any way I could light this, except manually? I have a thermocouple / pilot light, but that would only work for one burner. (there about $50 a piece)

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Making a giant stove

I'm not an HVAC guy--However--you will need a pressure regulator (scalp one from an old stove or furnace)

The HVAC guys are the ones to help ---want this moved? Hit the red alert button if you do.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
DIY staff

Making a giant stove

I moved this for you----Study a corn boiler (turkey fryer) stove---I believe you will need an orifice and air mixer along with a valve and regulator.

Not my area of expertise---Mike----
Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Making a giant stove

I was considering the same large stove idea for a powder coat oven. I havea propane room heater 200k btu, I paid less than $100 I use it to heat up the garage. My thought for an oven was to use styrofoam panels from with it 12-18 inches off the ground with an 18 inch hole cut in the bottom to put the heater. The heater I have is 18 " round 30" tall, It would have the propans lighter outside the oven for lighting and air intake with the top 2/3 of the of the heater inside of the oven. One consideration would be to put some type of metal fan to circulate the air. How big of an oven are you talking about? Im considering one I can put a driveway gate into after powdercoating. By the way with powdercoating are there fums I need to be concered with. Thats a concern I need to know about prior to a gas oven
PapaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Making a giant stove

You people ever heard of Darwin's List? Using styrofoam for insulation around a heat producing appliance? Fumes from powder coating? Open flames? Clearances to combustables?

I hope neither of you live around me or any of my family.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 264

Making a giant stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
You people ever heard of Darwin's List? Using styrofoam for insulation around a heat producing appliance? Fumes from powder coating? Open flames? Clearances to combustables?

I hope neither of you live around me or any of my family.
It's not that dangerous - DIY burner rigs are really popular for home brewing. The majority use propane - I'm honestly not sure why, gas is right there and you don't have to screw around with changing cylinders or cylinders running out.

I would opt for Roxul or even fiberglass instead of styrofoam though.
tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
DIY staff

Making a giant stove

We sort of have two threads in one here----Papa Lyn--Your kiln would make for another good thread as a Kiln requires not only heat but an enclosure--