Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Main Fan Won't Kick On

I have a Comfortmaker furnace and the main fan won't kick on. There was a smell like rubber burning and I could hear the fan humming like it was trying so I took off the cover and manually clicked the safety switch (the one the cover activates when it is in place) several times. When I clicked the switch down (completing the circuit as if the cover were in place) a piece of electrical equipment, barrel shaped about 1.5" in diameter and about 2" long with two wires coming out of it and leading into the squirrel cage, began to burn brightly (almost as bright as an ignitor) and the burned rubber smell was apparent again. That's when the fan quit humming completely like it wasn't even trying anymore. Anyone know what that barrel shaped piece of electronic equipment is so I can go to the hardware store and get another? Furthermore, is it safe to say that that piece of equipment is the problem and not just a symptom of the real problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no air conditioning until I have a fan to circulate it!

Mavyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
weekend warrior

Main Fan Won't Kick On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavyak View Post
is it safe to say that that piece of equipment is the problem and not just a symptom of the real problem?
I thought you were talking about a glowcoil or something... but you said it's airconditioning, so that's out of the question. When you say squirrel cage, you're talking about the blower housing? All I could think of "barrel shaped" is the capacitor but that's usually larger and wouldn't "glow". Sounds like something's shorted out and ready to burn the house down. Call a pro or post a pic so someone can help.

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #3

Main Fan Won't Kick On

I just talked to a buddy of mine who does HVAC and he agrees that it's the capacitor. I just happened to be present to witness its final hour. I was, in fact, referring to the blower housing when I mentioned squirrel cage. I've already thrown the breaker to the furnace and am going to remove the burnt up capacitor and replace it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it's the root cause and not a symptom of a blown blower motor!

Thanks for the fast response!
Mavyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
weekend warrior

Main Fan Won't Kick On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavyak View Post
Thanks for the fast response!
just passing the time at work, heh

You should have no prob getting a new capactor cheap. capacitors act like a battery storing energy but they allow a heck of a lot more current to flow at once, sort of like how you jump start a car...

motors need that because they're an inductive load, they appear almost like a dead short when they first start (which is why the lights dim for a sec) then as they start rotating a magnetic field is induced and the current is regulated.

more then you ever needed to know huh.

cool it's 11:30pm, I get to go home now.
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote