Mahoning Outdoor Wood Burner - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mahoning Outdoor Wood Burner

Anyone have experiance with the Mahoning Brand? I'm looking to purchase but can not settle on the brand. I have a local dealer, but the Mahoning warranty is only three years. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Advertisement

Jimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Anyone have experiance with the Mahoning Brand? I'm looking to purchase but can not settle on the brand. I have a local dealer, but the Mahoning warranty is only three years. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
I have a mahoning stove with a 2nd heat source. i am installing a waste oil heater. I burn strickley coal, wood is to hard to cut. outside stoves burn lots of wood. figure on pickup truckload per week. I heat a 4000 sq ft home, all my hot water and a 5 man spa using 7 tons coal per year. my house is kept between 75 and 80 degrees. I fire it once every 24 hours with usually with around 70 lbs depending on outside temp. I empty ash once every week. you need a good place to dump ash.
I installed it myself. a 300 series. i did place it inside a 12x20 shed because i needed a dry place for my coal and i didn't want to see the stove in my yard.
i love it
taco

Advertisement

taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #3

Question

i am interested in knowing more how you heat with your mahoning.I bought a 300 in oct. it was finally delivered dec.16.My intensions were to run strictly coal too,not working so well for me.I can not get the stove to stay over 150 degrees with coal only.So i run a mix with wood.the first week and a half the house was nice and warm...ever since my backup oil unit to boiler keeps coming on.my house is maybe 2500 sq. or less.I have the mahoning set at 170(what the guy told me to do when he sold me the stove.)my honey well on boiler is set at 120 and 140 the lowest setting it will allow me.the diff is set at 15 that allows me 10 to 25.My 1st floor is zone 1..my second floor is zone 2...my family room has radiant heat under tile and that is zone 3.All are set at 70 degrees and will not hold at that ever.cold nights it drops below 60 in the house.mid day if its in the 40's it will stay on 70 till sun goes down.as i speak now it is 38 outside and 11:30pm here my radiant floor is reading 61.Went out side mahoning blower is off and its at 170.My boiler is reading 140 so naturally the oil burner want to kick in.I also noticed tonight my expansion tank has no water in it..I do not know if this should be.my elec.hot water tank is full and ive had the breaker off since i installed the mahoning.At this point i have chewed thru about 2 ton of coal and 10 cords of wood and i am now out of oil.please give me some words of wisdom-i am at a loss. thanks lisa
lmstrausser is offline   Reply With Quote