Magic Chef HVAC Water Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Magic Chef HVAC water problem

I have a Magic Chef HVAC unit in a hall "closet" that is dripping water by the gallons. It has not been a problem until a few days ago when the unit froze up. We had a tech come out and fill the coolant so the unit is running but there is water coming from around the drip pan and running down into the air intake "crawl space" under the unit. I have cleaned out the drain and can actually see with a flash light thru the pipe all the way to the coil...all is clear. I took the cover off the coil and scraped out a bunch of sludge from the pan (rusted pretty bad) and watched the water level while the unit was running. It does not appear to be overflowing the pan. I guess it could be rusted out but can't see any obvious holes. I noticed the insulating material glued to the inside of the box around the coil is wet down near the pan and at the far end of the coil where it is up against the end of the coil. I don't know if it is normal for that material to get wet or if it might be the result of the freeze up the other day. Any suggestions what to look for? Can the pan be replaced and if so, how do I get it out without damaging the coil? I was wondering if the insulation material might have gotten wet during the freeze up and now is acting like a wick, syphoning the water out of the pan and if so would drying it out with a hair dryer possibly fix the problem?

HELP!

Advertisement

jfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Good chance its rusted through.

A sheet metal shop can make another one for you.

Get it replaced soon, or you'll end up with mold.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I have a similar problem with my magic chef HVAC unit, does anyone have any recommendations on a new HVAC unit, and how to proceed to replace the old unit? Is it a DIY project? Where can I find good source of information on the old magic chef HVAC electric unit?
DIYUS is offline   Reply With Quote