DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Luxaire Gas furnace leaking water

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  johns811 
#1 ·
Hi, my Luxaire gas furnace is leaking small amounts water from the bottom of the pan the inducer motor bolts too. I checked the hoses and they are all clear and clamped. I had this problem a few ago and I pulled the pan and made a new cork/rubber gasket from material I got at the autostore. It worked for a while but I don't think that material is really suited for water. I remade the gasket and it is leaking again. What should I use to repair/reseal this. I was told the part was no longer available. I inspected for cracks but did not see any. The leak is pretty obvious, is seaps out of the bottom edge of that pan.

I was thinking of trying a liquid gasket but don't want to make a big mess. Is there some rubber sealing material I can use? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

#5 ·
What kind of RTV. I have some I bought at the auto store. I was afraid I would make a big mess but the gasket I made is not getting the job done.

I have Permatex Ultra Copper High temp RTV Silicone. Should I put the material on the furnace or the pan. Thanks

#9 ·
Should I go with the cork/rubber gasket material or this rubber/paper material I also have. The cork seems to absorb alot of water and wick the water out of the seal. I bought some other material that is more like a rubber/paper which is what I'm currently using. It leaks more than the cork did. I guess it is thinner material so maybe it didn't seal well. So your saying use the gasket with RTV bead on both sides of gasket? Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.