Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Luxaire Furnace Issues

Fellow DIY's:
I have an 18 yr old Luxaire PBNU-LD10P060A HiEff LP furnace that started acting up this winter. The local serviceman has not been able to fix. I think that 3R (Ventor Fan Relay) has a bad/intermittent coil and I have ordered a replacement. I have a question for you experts out there. The rectangular black panel that the ventor fan bolts to I believe is called the condensation pan. Looking at the various pvc hoses from the bottom of the pan, the blower, and to the trap leads me to believe that after 18 years of northern wisconsin sub-arctic usage, that this might need to be cleaned out. The drain hose from the trap makes a very loud gurgling noise and when you put your palm on the end, there is suction. SHould I leave it alone or is it worth tearing apart. By the way, I follow very strict safety precautions, I have an extreme aversion to self-immolation. Thank you.
ElecEngineer262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #2

Luxaire Furnace Issues

im sure you know the old adage if it aint broke dont fix it, the plastic used can get brittle with age and its all sealed up with silicone so there may be difficulty in opening the compartment without prying/pulling. also the rubber hoses can rot out as well. id would at most clean the trap where the hoses terminate, flush it out with water,or just suck it out with a shopvac
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

Luxaire Furnace Issues

Well, the problem with the ventor relay was that the solder joint for the 24v coil was cracked. I had ordered a new relay and it's on the way, but after suffering through a sub-zero night, this morning I took out the relay to examine, and sure enough, a very intermittent connection. Got a hi-wattage soldering iron and repaired. Will still put the new one in and save old for a backup.

After being socked $150 for parts and service that couldn't deduce what was going on (a professional contractor) I am loathe to bring him back in for another of his prescient analysis.

Still worried about the ventor and condensate pan situation. We've had over a month of very cold temps. If I put towels over the end of the drain hose, it muffles the gurgling, however it also makes the furnace behave as if the intake pvc pipe is blocked or iced up. The ventor fan will run but the burners will not fire. When it gets above 10F I'm going to look again at the intake/output pvc pipes to see if there are blockages down in there.

It just doesn't seem right that there should be a vacuum great enough to overcome the condensate trap. The water should build up and then come out the drain. Any thoughts? Is it so obvious that I'm
Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Luxaire Furnace Issues

Post some pics of it and that will help. The ventor is attached to a "collector box". You are right, the condensate needs to fill the trap. The pressure switch won't prove otherwise. The trap may be cracked or damaged internally and need replacing.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #5

Luxaire Furnace Issues

Thanks, Yuri. I did end of removing the hoses and using my shopvac (wet mode) attempt to get any blockages out of the drain pan. It actually seemed to get better for a while. The gurgling through the trap would be less and go away after a bit. However, now it's back to its old self. Is there anything in the plastic trap (which is attached to the furnace blower housing) that can fail? I took it out and rinsed it out, and it didn't seem like there were any moving parts or anything that could fail in it. I've primed it with water and after it filled up water would come out of the bottom as fast as I poured it in. If I could find the part numbers for the blower and pan gaskets and such (and if it would ever warm up) I would take it all apart and see what is going on. I'll try to post some pics with notes soon.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Luxaire Furnace Issues

Usually you get a steady stream of water from the collector box with no air in it. At the back of some collector boxes is a baffle which may be broken/cracked on yours. The trap is usually a plastic dip type tube and it may be broken internally. Sounds to me like you are getting air and water before it and that is unusual. I am not familiar with your specific furnace as they are not popular here.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower, condensate, luxaire, pan, ventor